Alpine newts pics

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
here are some pics of the alpine newts I got from Jennewt last week. They are settling in very nicely....

I've always been fond of alpine newts, ever since I was a kid in Germany, where they are in the wild. I dunno, but for my money, they are the most handsome newt species on the planet. :frog:I think it's the dainty lil' spots on their cheeks that does it to me.:D

Attachments

• IMG_5318.jpg
    IMG_5318.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_5331.jpg
    IMG_5331.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_5372.jpg
    IMG_5372.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_5346.jpg
    IMG_5346.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_5365.jpg
    IMG_5365.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_5373.jpg
    IMG_5373.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 704
Nice :)
Jen certainly breeds good looking newts xD
A small piece of advice if you don´t mind, i would get rid of the slope of gravel. It will trap large amounts of debris and it´s possible for it to cause anaerobic conditions in the inner parts of the slope, which can be a real problem. Believe me, you´ll be glad of avoiding that problem.
Also, is that fern an Adiantum? I thought they were all terrestrially, have you used it before and does it thrive underwater? If it does i´m getting some.

Hi Azhael,
thanks for the gravel advice - yeah, I'm gonna change that; I was mainly curious to see which water depth they would like best.

That fern I got at PetCo - I have no idea what species, but definitely not terrestrial as the leaves dry out almost instantly when not submerged. Not addiantum - but not sure which. I thought at first a weird species of Bolbitis, but I can't find any reference anywhere..

Ah, i see. I thought it might have been some kind of Adiantum because there is a definite resemblance. Would you please let me know if it does well for you and if you ever get an accurate identification? I love the way it looks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back