Alpine Newts Protected?

dcnylund

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm a newbie who just moved to Germany about a year ago. Today I was cleaning the muck out of a half-barrel pond and I found two newts swimming around. Looking up German Newts, they seem to match the description of Triturus alpestris. or an alpine newt. Could this be? The pond has no land-portion whatsoever. Also, what is their protection status? Could I bring them into an aquarium? Thanks for any input you could give me.

Re: Alpine New Protected?

Hi.
If i´m not mistaken, and please someone correct me if i am, German laws protect all native species. That means collecting animals is illegal.
I think you can keep CB native species as long as you have the adecuate documentation for them.

Even if they were legal to catch i hope you realize something...european caudates are in a much different situation than american ones. Here their habitats are very fragmented, and all european species are under some degree of protection because each population is important.
To catch a pair of adult newts can potentially have an impact on a particularly small population.

There are a lot of european breeders that have healthy CB animals for very reasonable prices(very reasonable indeed), i suggest if you are really interested in the species, you try to find some of those breeders. You won´t regret it :)

AW: Alpine Newts Protected?

Hi and welcome to Germany,
Azhael is correct. All native newts are protected in Germany and one isn't allowed to catch them and/or keep them in an aquarium. Captive bred animals are excepted from this (there are papers for them and some red tape is involved).
Be aware that almost all newt species native to Germany (including Mesotriton alpestris alpestris) are aquatic in the spring during breeding season, but will leave the water shortly thereafter to lead a strictly terrestrial life till next spring. During breeding season they dont need a land portion in the pond.
Only the crested newt (Triturus cristatus) shows a tendency to be more aquatic and some individuals will stay in the water year round and even overwinter in ponds.

So try to enjoy the newts in your pond and if you are still interested in keeping alpines at home, establish contact to other hobbyists and breeders and work yourself into getting some captive bred juveniles. Some subspecies of Mesotriton alpestris like apuanus or reiseri can be kept aquatic throughout the year.

Thanks to both of you. The information you provided was just what I was looking for. I'll let the newts enjoy the pond during the springtime. I hope I didn't clean out too much muck. It's actually amazing that they found their way to our little water habitat. The nearest stream is at least 150 meters away. Muchos gracias and vielen Dank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back