Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Already getting the itch for more Axolotls...

DragonGirl

Reaction score
I've already got one axolotl and I was just surfing the forums here looking at the ones people were selling, and I'd absolutely love to get another. I live in a dorm room so I'm not sure I'll have space for another tank until I move out. I currently have my wild type in a 15 gallon tank where he seems to be doing great. He's about 5 inches long right now.

I've read that for his size a 10 gallon tank would work, but unless I want to be upgrading a 15 gallon is ideal. I've also read in numerous places that Axolotls are social and you could (and probably should) have at least two in a 15 gallon tank. I'm pretty skeptical of this and kind of unsure if I believe that or not. Some places say there should be at least two per tank, some say only to do that if its a bigger tank, some say they aren't really that social...

So, I figured I'd come ask the experts ;) Is it possible to have more than one in a 15 gallon tank (at least for a year) and would I have to worry about a size difference among the axo's? other than making sure the new addition would be big enough that it can't fit in my boys mouth.

Cacique

Reaction score
A 15 gallon tank unfortunately would be too small for 2. From what I've read, they interact with each other and aren't a social creature, so they don't need partners in their tanks like schooling fish or us do. A 30 long or 40 breeder would be great for 2 axolotls, I think 3 could fit in a 40 breeder well too.

Your axolotl will be growing quickly, mine grew from 2.5 inches to 8 in just a few months, that's the only reason I wouldn't say you could have the 2 together in the 15 gallon. From what I've read it is a possibility, but it would require more frequent water changes to make sure the water quality stays good.

DragonGirl

Reaction score
Okay cool. Yeah, I had figured water quality may be a problem with having more than one in such a small tank but that could be dealt with. So I guess I was more curious as for the size. Most places i've read have said a 15 gallon is good for an adult, which if I understand correctly get to around a foot long. no matter how many times I look at my tank I can't help but feel like that doesn't seem like enough room. I just don't have room for a bigger tank in my dorm, but once I move out a bigger tank is a possibility

Cacique

Reaction score
I think 15 gallons, while not as roomy, is a good size for a single axolotl. A 20 long would be, IMO, the best compromise of smallest tank while giving a single axolotl ample room. I had my axolotl in a 10 gallon tank with a 3D background, and it looked like a great tank for him at 2.5 inches, but soon he got to 5 inches and it looks tiny. I was able to upgrade him during a $1 per gallon sale and stuck him in a 55 gallon all to himself.

As for the size, I believe the average is more around 10 inches. My axolotl the last time I measured him was maybe last month, he was at about 8.5 inches. I would say he's close to half a year old, more or less. I have space in his new tank for a couple more axolotls, but he covers the whole tank by himself. Walks and swims and can be found in different spots, so he obviously like the large tank.

What I would recommend is you measure any area that you would consider putting the tank and look up the dimensions of the different tank sizes. You could look up the 15 gallon tank dimensions and compare the sizes. I looked up the different dimensions for the tanks and noticed that some have similar dimensions even though they are bigger due to being a bit width instead of length.

DragonGirl

Reaction score
He seems to love his tank. He gets fairly active and can often be seen doing little flips or just kind of drifting around the tank. I have a little rock cave that I had originally used for a pleco once upon a time and while he seems to like going inside around mid day for a nap, he seems to prefer trying to squeeze himself between the wall and the rock.

I would like to upgrade him to a bigger tank at some point. The main problem is right now I live in a dorm room at college and I don't really have much space for anything bigger.

The petstore I got him from seems to eternally have a $1 per gallon sale. there have been signs posted for it for probably about 3-4 months now. So the price to upgrade isn't much of an issue. I'm not really sure how old Percival is. I've been guessing that he's around 5 months old, but i'm not sure. i'm also not sure if it really is a he or not. My whole problem with that is i'm not sure if he(or she i guess) is sexually mature yet.

I actually did that exact thing with getting this tank XD I had a 15 gallon tank I was using to hold baby guppies and an empty 10 gallon tank so I was trying to find out which would fit better, and thankfully the 15 gallon fits perfectly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1