Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alternative method L.laoensis

Jort

Reaction score
Ah, looks like the survivors are catching up, compared to last time I saw them. Looking great! How long before you can put them back in the water?

Niels D

Reaction score
All 7 are doing well. The difference in size between the Gersfeld animals and the survivors is almost completely gone. I'm keeping the survivors a little bit warmer in our living room though, so that could explain the catching up. I'm only allowed to have one setup there...:rolleyes: All other Laoensis and Paramesotriton experience temps between 15 (night) and 20 (day), so they are kept a little colder than recommended. Still all look well fed and healthy.

The "compost in a can" method seems to be working great in any case. Check that round belly:

Because of winter I have to use dried oak or beech leaves, but they do the trick just as well. I have to keep in mind that the enclosure needs to be moistened more often of course.

shnabo

Reaction score
Looks great! I like your feeder method to keep them out of the gunky soil. The most wonderful time of the year(8)

Niels D

Reaction score
Temperatures are getting warmer. I must admit that during winter time I'm keeping the juveniles a bit on the cold side (15-18C). Now it's getting >20C I see that the juveniles are eating more and that they grow faster. It seems that the method I'm using now is good enough for these guys and the Paramesotriton species I'm raising. Still I have to get them aquatic eventually to see if it works properly.

Niels D

Reaction score
Sorry no pics, but they will follow after I've upgraded my photobucket account. Still no animals lost after I recovered the "survivors" and all are doing well. The laoensis juvies have the same size as male C.orientalis. Some are even bigger. Since I've introduced the new feeding method the Paramesotriton species and laoensis are growing better and they are bulkier. No signs of a calcium shortage as well. I'm using the styrofoam boxes with the same feeding method to get my notos and Triturus species through the winter as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!