Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Am I at the end of the nitrogen cycle?

Jami

Reaction score
Hi, I recently tested my tank and noticed the cycle in my tank was off. I only had nitrite in the tank and no ammonia or nitrate. Just to be safe I took my axolotl out and moved him to a temporary tank. The nitrite started at 1 and is now 1.5, I also now have 20 ppm of nitrate. I am getting some plants today for the tank as well to hopefully help with the cycle. I am new to the whole tank cycling thing and just want to make sure that I am on the right track. Thank you!

Kitan

Reaction score
Eeeeh, you are PROBABLY close to done. The big thing is you removed the source of ammonia (thanks 'lotl poop and food!) and might actually cause the cycle to crash. You will know that the cycle is complete when your ammonia and nitrites read 0 and your nitrates are below 60 ppm (above that can facilitate an algae bloom), but still present. As for removing your little guy, you only need to do so if it gets dangerous and you cant manage it with water changes\Prime.

Let us know if you need any more help :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!