AM I FAT??? OR AM I SICK???

H

helen

AM I FAT??? OR AM I SICK????}

I THINK I COULD BE BLOATED??
I HAVE BEEN IN THE FRIDGE FOR ONLY 2 HOURS.
I HAVE NOT EATEN FOR 3.5 WEEKS NOW.
I AM TURNING SIDEWAYS AND FULLY EXTENDING MY MOUTH - GULPING WATER.

PLEASE GIVE ANY SUGGESTIONS.
I HAVE BEEN WITH MY FAMILY FOR OVER 16 MONTHS NOW.

(Message edited by napoleon69 on April 01, 2006)

I'm sorry Helen, id love to try and help you, but i cant view the pic.
Its taken nearly 10 mins to load.
sad.gif

THANX - I DO WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT - LOL

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME IS SHE FAT?

The photo looks fine to me, but the axie does not look fine. It's hard to tell from the top view, but is the neck area bloated? The gills look unusually small. Other than refrigeration, I don't know what you can do at this point. The symptoms are not encouraging.

GILLS - I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT WE CALL THEM FEATHERS. IS THAT CORRECT?

I FED HER SOME TINY FEEDER FISH AND THEY ATE HER INSTEAD.
I TOOK THEM OUT IMMEDIATLY.
BIBBI HAS LOOKED LIKE THIS FOR MONTHS AND MONTHS NOW.
I WILL TRY AND GET A PIC OF HER FRONT ON FOR ANYONE TO GIVE ME ANY TIPS/ADVICE ON WEATHER SHE IS FAT OR IS REALLY SICK.

(Message edited by napoleon69 on April 01, 2006)

Usually this kind of bloated symptoms are associated to liver problems,but since you said that you´ve tried to give her feeder fish it might be some kind on infection brougth by the feeder fish.If the fridge isn´t helping try to look for a good vet, I know it is hard to get one that know anything about axolotls but you might as well try.
If you can´t find a vet go to the http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm and see there the safe list of medicines that you can use with your axie for parasites. Good luck

From the side it looks like a kidney malfunction, before I said liver but i´ve wanted to say kidney, sorry, but you never know it´s hard to say with 100% sure. Good luck

Out oif interest how much do you feed your axie and could u stop TYPING IN CAPS LOCK
smile9.gif

humm i would love a axie that looked like that =O
it looks funny
and it reminds me of the godfather =\
if only it wasnt sick
sad.gif

snip "From the side it looks like a kidney malfunction, before I said liver but i´ve wanted to say kidney, sorry, but you never know it´s hard to say with 100% sure. Good luck"

Both of these can cause bloating issues as they disrupt the osmotic balance of the amphibian. Unless the blood values can tell which is causing the problem, you cannot tell them apart through external observation.
However I wish to add that this also doesn't rule out infection or other disruptions of the osmotic balance.
If there is damage to the gills then this can cause problems with osmotic regulation. In cases like this placing the animal is amphibian ringers can help the amphibian regulate its osmotic potential.

Ed

Thanx Ed.
Can't say much about the other 2 comments.
Take all kinds doesn't it.
Is there any thing I can do for osmotic regulation??

H

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back