Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma laterale health issue

Salvador Amander

Reaction score
Hopefully the video attachment worked, I'm new to this site. I've had 6 blue spotted salamanders for a little under a year, and the largest of

them has been making this motion almost like a closed mouth hiccup. After a bit of research, I heard about the dangerous symptom, bloating

. This salamander is technically bloated, but he's always been well fed and chunky. There isn't any swelling in the limbs or neck, but it wasn't interested in food. I'm worried about the lil big guy, and I don't look forward to their possibly inevitable death.

Skdecoteau

Reaction score
View attachment 92032Hopefully the video attachment worked, I'm new to this site. I've had 6 blue spotted salamanders for a little under a year, and the largest of

them has been making this motion almost like a closed mouth hiccup. After a bit of research, I heard about the dangerous symptom, bloating

. This salamander is technically bloated, but he's always been well fed and chunky. There isn't any swelling in the limbs or neck, but it wasn't interested in food. I'm worried about the lil big guy, and I don't look forward to their possibly inevitable death.
Poor little guy. Did you have any idea what could have caused it? Could he have eaten too much substrate along with a meal? I don't know if that's possible, but it seems feasible and it's something I'm currently worried about with my sals.

Salvador Amander

Reaction score
Poor little guy. Did you have any idea what could have caused it? Could he have eaten too much substrate along with a meal? I don't know if that's possible, but it seems feasible and it's something I'm currently worried about with my sals.
He's fine now, perhaps I gave him too much to eat, or he ate a mealworm that had hardened chitin after molting, as I only feed mealworms when they are soft after molting. I don't know this for certain, but I think amphibians are much more tolerant of swallowed substrate than reptiles are. What kinds of sallies do you have?

Creekratt

Reaction score
View attachment 92032Hopefully the video attachment worked, I'm new to this site. I've had 6 blue spotted salamanders for a little under a year, and the largest of

I love blue spots. Glad to hear yours is fine. You know when I feed my tigers, right after they eat crawlers they will still do that little jerk motion. Must be the crawlers tail is still in mouth and there trying to get it down his throat. Maybe your little guy still had food on his mouth and couldn't easily get down? Can I ask if you breed these guys!?

Reaction score

I love blue spots. Glad to hear yours is fine. You know when I feed my tigers, right after they eat crawlers they will still do that little jerk motion. Must be the crawlers tail is still in mouth and there trying to get it down his throat. Maybe your little guy still had food on his mouth and couldn't easily get down? Can I ask if you breed these guys!?
Have you ever seen a full worm that you watched your salamander consume only to have your salamander throw back up after ??

My one salamander always tries eating a worm his size and he pukes it up almost every time ... I had to find multiple smaller worms for him to keep down, on the other hand my smaller salamander will eat and keep down a worm the length of my bigger Salamander, and then sometimes they won't eat for a week, but I offer them food every 3-5 days depending on their last meal

Creekratt

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a full worm that you watched your salamander consume only to have your salamander throw back up after ??

My one salamander always tries eating a worm his size and he pukes it up almost every time ... I had to find multiple smaller worms for him to keep down, on the other hand my smaller salamander will eat and keep down a worm the length of my bigger Salamander, and then sometimes they won't eat for a week, but I offer them food every 3-5 days depending on their last meal
No I've never seen any of my sals puke up a worm before. Not sure what to think bout that maybe he didn't like that species of worm? Maybe the worm was too big for him to keep down?

Reaction score
No I've never seen any of my sals puke up a worm before. Not sure what to think bout that maybe he didn't like that species of worm? Maybe the worm was too big for him to keep down?
They were too big, for him or the temperature was a bit too warm for him to digest the meal, this happened twice, but only to one of my salamanders, I thought he was sick but switched him to tiny red wigglers and he'd eat like 3-4 in one meal, and keep those down fine ...

I already know my salamanders are spoiled as neither one will not eat the majority of most live pet store insects.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1