Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)

Re: Ambystoma maculatum

These are all growing at different rates, with some being more advanced than others. You can just about see the balancers on this one.

Attachments

• Ambystoma maculatum embryo 21 days 002.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum embryo 21 days 002.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 745
  • Maculatum 016.jpg
    Maculatum 016.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 591
  • Maculatum 020.jpg
    Maculatum 020.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:

My first larvae, plus one thinking that reversing out may be a good idea :eek:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 638
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 620

They are gorgeous! Congratulations.

Unfortunately I lost the few larvae that hatched :(

I was looking on another forum today and saw a UK gentleman has just had eggs laid from his group. I hadn't expected mine to do anything for a couple of months, as my last lot where laid early April after a rather cold spell. This winter has been rather wet and mild with only a few slight frosts here so I wasn't really expecting to see anything at all. Today has been rather mild and it had just started to rain again, but I thought it was worth trundling out to the shed to see if they were up to anything. I didn't find any eggs, but I did see plenty of activity from them. One was hopping in and out of the water and the floor of their tub has scattered groups of spermatophore :) I now have all fingers and toes crossed for eggs :D

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 571
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 553
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:

After a rainy cold night, I found a small egg mass :D

Attachments

• Ambystoma maculatum 009.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum 009.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 611
  • Ambystoma maculatum 021.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum 021.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 942

Day 8... and not much has changed. I have left the eggs in where they were laid this year. The water is maybe 8-10 degrees C.

Attachments

• Ambystoma maculatum 009.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum 009.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 493

How did i not see this? Congrats Julia! Fingers crossed they are fertilized and they develop well. And even if they don´t, congratulations are still in order for a repeated success in getting them to lay!

Thank you Rodrigo :) If I look really really closely at them, there may be some development, but after last years shenanigans I am trying to be less of an egg watcher this time ;)

Day 12 and the eggs are changing shape.

Attachments

• Ambytoma maculatum eggs day 12 018.jpg
    Ambytoma maculatum eggs day 12 018.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 698

Yeeeeeeeesss!!
*happy developing embryo dance*

Take good care of those lovelies :)

Day 16 :D

Attachments

• Ambystoma maculatum eggs day 16 001.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum eggs day 16 001.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 782

Day 19.
This evening I watched the larva gently turn within their eggs.... dinner was late :wacko:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 523
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 500

These are taking forever to grow :( Hopefully the temperatures rising towards the weekend, will encourage them to grow a little faster :).
Anyway, photo's of day 26, the water temperature was 5 degrees.

Attachments

• Ambystoma maculatum day 26 009.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum day 26 009.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 496
  • Ambystoma maculatum day 26 010.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum day 26 010.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 533

Day 35 and the day time water temps are on average 11 degrees now. If I look really carefully I can see eyes, balancers and gills. I would think the first ones will hatch in the next few days. The pictures are not so clear now as they egg mass is looking a tad grubby and I can not get the camera to focus through to the larva. I took a few of the ones underneath today as they looked clearer, but the pictures came out distorted . All the larva, barr one or two all look well developed. Only one in the middle turned white , much like last years and one is only now looking to be developing.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 526
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 501

Today I spotted the first hatched larva :D Hatched on day 36, water temp was 12 degrees.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 528

Congrats once again! Very nice looking larva

I missed this too! How many morphs did you end up with last year?

I didn't Dawn, they all died quite early on. This time I am leaving most of them in the main tub as there looks like there is plenty of small food ready for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back