• Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!
  • Welcome to Caudata.org, the Newt & Salamander Information Portal.

    We are the longest running community for amphibian enthusiasts on the Internet. Our primary goal is the sharing of information on the maintenance and breeding of newts and salamanders in captivity.

    Right now you are viewing our community as a guest. This gives you limited access to our forum and resources. For example, your ability to view conversations in our "Advanced Topics" section is restricted, and guests can view but not respond to "for sale" or "want" ads. Join our free community and get full access, post questions, your own photo albums, message other members, and other features. Registration is fast, simple and totally free so please, click the register link today! Problem? Please use the contact link at the bottom of the page.

    For care info, Caudata Culture is the site for you. Axolotls? The Axolotl Site is the best on the net.

Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)

Re: Ambystoma maculatum

These are all growing at different rates, with some being more advanced than others. You can just about see the balancers on this one.
 

Attachments

  • Ambystoma maculatum embryo 21 days 002.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum embryo 21 days 002.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Maculatum 016.jpg
    Maculatum 016.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 871
  • Maculatum 020.jpg
    Maculatum 020.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: jle
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

My first larvae, plus one thinking that reversing out may be a good idea :eek:
 

Attachments

  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 911
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 858
  • Like
Reactions: jle
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

They are gorgeous! Congratulations.
 
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Unfortunately I lost the few larvae that hatched :(

I was looking on another forum today and saw a UK gentleman has just had eggs laid from his group. I hadn't expected mine to do anything for a couple of months, as my last lot where laid early April after a rather cold spell. This winter has been rather wet and mild with only a few slight frosts here so I wasn't really expecting to see anything at all. Today has been rather mild and it had just started to rain again, but I thought it was worth trundling out to the shed to see if they were up to anything. I didn't find any eggs, but I did see plenty of activity from them. One was hopping in and out of the water and the floor of their tub has scattered groups of spermatophore :) I now have all fingers and toes crossed for eggs :D
 

Attachments

  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 853
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 800
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 941
Last edited:
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

After a rainy cold night, I found a small egg mass :D
 

Attachments

  • Ambystoma maculatum 009.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum 009.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 888
  • Ambystoma maculatum 021.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum 021.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,208
  • Like
Reactions: jle
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Day 8... and not much has changed. I have left the eggs in where they were laid this year. The water is maybe 8-10 degrees C.
 

Attachments

  • Ambystoma maculatum 009.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum 009.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 791
  • Like
Reactions: jle
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

How did i not see this? Congrats Julia! Fingers crossed they are fertilized and they develop well. And even if they don´t, congratulations are still in order for a repeated success in getting them to lay!
 
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Thank you Rodrigo :) If I look really really closely at them, there may be some development, but after last years shenanigans I am trying to be less of an egg watcher this time ;)
 
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Day 12 and the eggs are changing shape.
 

Attachments

  • Ambytoma maculatum eggs day 12 018.jpg
    Ambytoma maculatum eggs day 12 018.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Like
Reactions: jle
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Yeeeeeeeesss!!
*happy developing embryo dance*

Take good care of those lovelies :)
 
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Day 16 :D
 

Attachments

  • Ambystoma maculatum eggs day 16 001.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum eggs day 16 001.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Like
Reactions: jle
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Day 19.
This evening I watched the larva gently turn within their eggs.... dinner was late :wacko:
 

Attachments

  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 772
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 783
  • Like
Reactions: jle
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

These are taking forever to grow :( Hopefully the temperatures rising towards the weekend, will encourage them to grow a little faster :).
Anyway, photo's of day 26, the water temperature was 5 degrees.
 

Attachments

  • Ambystoma maculatum day 26 009.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum day 26 009.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 731
  • Ambystoma maculatum day 26 010.jpg
    Ambystoma maculatum day 26 010.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 839
  • Like
Reactions: jle
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Day 35 and the day time water temps are on average 11 degrees now. If I look really carefully I can see eyes, balancers and gills. I would think the first ones will hatch in the next few days. The pictures are not so clear now as they egg mass is looking a tad grubby and I can not get the camera to focus through to the larva. I took a few of the ones underneath today as they looked clearer, but the pictures came out distorted . All the larva, barr one or two all look well developed. Only one in the middle turned white , much like last years and one is only now looking to be developing.
 

Attachments

  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 805
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 773
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 781
  • Like
Reactions: jle
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Today I spotted the first hatched larva :D Hatched on day 36, water temp was 12 degrees.
 

Attachments

  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 782
  • Like
Reactions: jle
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Congrats once again! Very nice looking larva
 
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

I missed this too! How many morphs did you end up with last year?
 
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

I didn't Dawn, they all died quite early on. This time I am leaving most of them in the main tub as there looks like there is plenty of small food ready for them.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top