Ambystoma Maculatum egg masses

saglines

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Steve
Last week I documented a "Big Night" Migration of the spotted salamander. Well, I visited the vernal pools and there are lots of egg masses. I will be monitoring these until they transform. I will periodically post updates with there progress.
There were thousands of spermatophores at the vernal pools today which was somewhat disappointing. I expected there to be many more egg masses.

Male spotted salamanders head to the vernal pools first to deposit spermatophores. Females then arrive and collect these spermataphores to fertilize their eggs.
Females will then lay eggs. A firm thick jelly will surround the egg masses that are usually attached to submerged vegetation.

My god, those are a hell of some hundreds! Maybe even up to one or two thousand! I wonder how they will do that overcrowded in a pond like that...

That's a lot of spermatophores!

Eljorgo, they actually do pretty well. The females who don't get the 'prime' spots will lay their eggs on higher vegetation, which can be emergent if the pond starts to dry out. But with this species, you get a lot of cannibalism.

Saglines, are there any Ambystoma opacum larvae in the ponds?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back