Ambystoma opacum feeding

RoosterSalad

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently got a group of four marbled salamanders and was surprised at how tiny they were! I've read that they're very secretive and sure enough they scattered under leaf litter and burrowed the second i put them in and haven't come out of hiding. Now the question is, how to go about feeding them? Should I let worms free roam for hunting? They seem too small for worms and I don't want to stress them out by digging them up to feed

Attachments

• marbled.jpg
    marbled.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 140
You could put worms into a somewhat deep dish so they don't get out and let them find it or place them near it

I think live worms will escape from any bowl, the salamanders on the other hand might struggle if it was something deep and they fell in.
The best thing to do is to leave worms to live in the vivarium, another good addition would be woodlice. You can also feed the salamander by leaving chopped large worms (nightcrawlers) - don't cut them too small so that they still move, and small slugs. Some people also feed these animals dusted crickets but they shouldn't be a staple.
My salamanders spend most time under cork bark where they can be easily found. I can lift the cork up and place food in front of them. Very often they will take the food while I'm looking, especially if it's small garden worms (greyish pink ones which don't move much).

I've used a 1.5 inch deep bowl and haven't had any worms escape , and the worms I used were just halves of Canadian nightcrawlers

where can i get wood lice? I know frog owners colonize spring tails in their set ups, do you think they would eat those too?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back