Ambystoma opacum

Today I dug the Opacum out . I rarely see them as through winter I put in a lot of leaf litter, they merrily spent their time lurking underneath, occasionally if I was able to sneak up on them I would glimpse a little head poking out.
I have kept them in my shed since late winter, they briefly came in doors after I found their soil frozen solid. I had thought for a horrible moment that I had killed them. They have lots of free roaming worms, woodlice and occasional small slug.
This afternoon I took out most of the loose leaves and tidied up the ivy and the other plant thta was going a little too wild. I returned them to their home and with in moment they had all dug them selves back into various holes. It was nice to see them all and I thought they looked well.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 130
They are looking good, Julia. Mine have been hiding really well recently so I don't see much of them. Looking at yours, I wonder if the 2 on the sides are girls - they look a bit less white than the middle three.

A whole year has passed since I last posted about these.

They haven't done much since last year. They hide and I dig them out every now and then to check they are still here. Late last year I thought I had lost one. While excavating I noticed some odd little 'mud' balls under one of the pieces of bark, but I didn't register what they where till much later. I assumed they where possibly slug/snail or even worm eggs..so I squashed them..It was only earlier this year that I realised they may have been a batch of eggs :eek: Maybe this year I will be a little more alert.

I think they are eating well :)

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 110
They look great! im about to order some. just trying to think of how many i should get haha

I dug a few up to see that they were ok :)

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 122
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back