Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma tigrinum woodland vivarium

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
image.jpg

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
Yes, the plants are live. Ficus benjamina and Cupressus macrocarpa.

CocoaAndTea

Reaction score
Wow, what an amazing set up! What types of plants and moss do you have in there?

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice - my tiger would be jealous if I allowed her screen time :)

How long has the habitat been set up and what sort of lighting do you use?

HJ

supergrappler

Reaction score
That is one heck of a beautiful set up! If I were a tiger salamander I'd be honored to live there.

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind comments. :) Lighting is an aqueon 30" modular led with one day white bulb and one colormax bulb .The plants are in the comments already. The moss is pet shop sheet moss. I'm not certain the species. This setup is only about two weeks old. It will likely start looking worse before it bounces back again. I Imagine it will be a few years before it reaches its full potential. I'll try to keep updates going.

CocoaAndTea

Reaction score
Sorry about that, sometimes my comments don't get approved until many hours later.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
. I'll try to keep updates going.

Yes, please do! I am very interested to know how the plants fair under these lighting conditions as I have always been interested in setting up nice, planted habitats for my terrestrial animals but am unsure as to what lighting to use for success.

HJ

Wy Renegade

Reaction score
Nice set-up. Will you be pruning to maintain a bonsai effect or do you just plan to replace the trees when they get too large for you vivarium? If you free-planted, I would imagine the root balls could become an issue in a year or two.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1