John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
On Sunday April 20th I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow (but far more experienced) herper named Scott in East Texas whilst on a visit to my in-laws. Scott and his lovely girlfriend Erica took me on a little adventure through some interesting habitats and I saw and learned a great deal. All of the following animals were found by Scott - I was just lucky enough to be there. Hopefully he can elaborate on some of the background to the photos I'm posting in this message. I should also add that we found quite a few reptiles along the way - this post is just about the salamanders.

The weather was in the late-ish 20s Celsius (about 80 F) and it had rained at least once in the previous few days. I regret that I didn't take enough habitat photos.

Scott is part of a research group that is surveying Necturus beyeri (Gulf Coast Waterdog) numbers in East Texas. This muddy, slow-moving waterway is located in protected forest and contains a number of research traps:

Nearly every trap Scott pulled yielded a specimen of N. beyeri. Here are two photos of one individual:

And another individual:

And another (all 3 were kindly held by Erica):

Going on what Scott has told me, they are common in that area and all three of these individuals are adult size.

Scott then took us to a man-made pond for amphibians elsewhere in the same forest:

Scott got his waders on and started dip netting. His first catch was this male Central Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens):

We spotted several other Notos and Scott later netted this individual, which on looking at the photo seems to be female?:

Scott's target species was Ambystoma talpoideum (the Mole Salamander), and whilst he wasn't able to turn up any adults, he did find a couple of larvae at slightly different stages. First this small one (starting to grow its back legs):

And then this larger individual which had ~fully developed hind legs:

We then moved on to marshy/swampy habitat elsewhere in the forest. Almost immediately Scott found this little beauty under a small fallen tree trunk on the swampy ground. For me personally this was the amphibian highlight of the afternoon, an adult Ambystoma texanum (Small-Mouthed Salamander):

As you can see from the following photo of the same individual something has had a go at the salamander's tail:

A few hundred meters away Scott rolled a log to find himself staring an Ambystoma opacum (Marbled Salamander) right in the face. Unfortunately the little blighter was mostly in his burrow and despite Scott's quick grab the little guy managed to get down his tunnel too quickly. I have to give Erica credit though - she really did try to get the little guy out but he had gone too far down.

All in all, an afternoon well spent. Thanks to Scott and Erica for showing me how it's done.

Last edited:
Nice thread. I didn't know beyeri were so small.

Can I ask a dumb question; aren't the mudpuppies supposed to have gills?

Really lovely pictures!

Can I ask a dumb question; aren't the mudpuppies supposed to have gills?
And they do - look again.

Addendum: And these aren't mudpuppies. Mudpuppy = Necturus maculosus and nothing else.

Nice finds. For one reason or the other I do really poorly on Mudpuppies and Waterdogs, but the Ambystoma are really where it is at!

Andy

but the Ambystoma are really where it is at!
Hehe. Here's irony for you. Supposedly Ambystoma mavortium mavortium adults are hard to find except on migration nights, yet I found one. Think I can find anything else? Not a hope, and I've tried. In fact I'm going out tonight to try again for A. texanum north of Dallas.

Very nice pictures John. N. beyeri are probably (in my opinion) one of the neatest little Necturus spp. Thanks for sharing!:D I'm sure you knew I was going to chime in on this thread.

Great photo series! I love all the pics of N. beyeri. They are one of my favourite little guys, afer axoltols and dwarf siren ( i like the little neotenic monsters)

As to what sort of research is being done, if you are able to say? Just Surveying the area, or anything else? i hope they find a lot of healthy little guys, that is for sure.

Thanks for sharing, and keep on herping.

Cool post, John.

Those are central newts, not broken-stripe newts, BTW ;)

very nice john, I enjoyed seeing the N. beyeri, not something that gets posted on herping forums too often

Cool post, John.

Those are central newts, not broken-stripe newts, BTW ;)
Same species? Amphibiaweb uses both vernacular names...

Greetings from the Ouachitas, where, after two days, I've seen a total of 1 salamander, 2 snakes, a bunch of cricket frogs, about a million "normal" centipedes, 1 purple centipede, a millipede, a bunch of earthworms and 6 ticks of two species (all of whom were on me - I photographed one which I'll post at some point - at least some kind of animal likes me). And then there are the ants (I like ants actually) and termites. And then there are those little flies that form a cloud around me after I've been turning rocks for 20 mins. Man this is like a blog entry - all whiny and pointless.

It was baking hot today and dry. I keep going outside to see if it's going to rain... Send me rain prayers/dances whatever because I have to go home tomorrow (Sunday) and I'll have to slash my wrists if the above is all I have to show for my trouble.

Last edited:
The cloud of flies may be gnats, or blackflies. *shudder* blackflies. And ticks. Ugh!! Nothing grosses me out quite as much as ticks.

Good luck. I hope it rained!!

It started raining and fogging up just as we had to go home today. I was quite disappointed. I would have stayed tonight too to take advantage of the good conditions but I couldn't take Monday off from work.

On the good side of things, I did see quite a bit on the way home so it wasn't a total waste of a trip, herp-wise. I seem to be able to find snakes quite easily...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back