Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia level?

jul148

Reaction score
So I bought a API water testing kit today and I did everything with a video. I did it and my Ammonia level, was 0.25 ppm. So, I am not sure if that’s still good for my 4 month Axolotl. How could I solve this Ammonia problem?

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
So I bought a API water testing kit today and I did everything with a video. I did it and my Ammonia level, was 0.25 ppm. So, I am not sure if that’s still good for my 4 month Axolotl. How could I solve this Ammonia problem?
.25ppm isn't too bad but you don't want it to get any higher than that. Weekly water changes are the only method you should be using to keep your tank stabilized. Generally, 20-30% changes weekly are enough, but you can determine if you need to increase the frequency and amount by testing your water every week as well.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Oh so I don’t have to do it unless the water is bad, right?
Correct. And even then, you're better off doing 30-40% changes daily for 3 changes to restabilize your tank. It'll bring your chemical levels into balance without shocking your system.

Dmcx3xx

Reaction score
You need to do it so the axolotl is healthy and happy.

If it's not cycled the ammonia will increase along with nitrites they are very harmful.

You need remove him and get a tub for your axololt like a plastic shoe box and do 100% water changes with (seachem prime)

You then need to add bottled ammonia into your tank (without the axololt)

Dose to 4ppm and check every other day with a API master test kit.

So when you dose the ammonia (harmful)
This will create nitrites (harmful)
Then nitrates (less harmful)

It takes about 4-6 weeks for the good bacteria to grow and your tank to be safe for your axie.

This will be what you need to buy.

API freshwater master test kit. Dr Tim's ammonia
Seachem prime.
A tub for your axololt

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!