Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia problems!

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
So today I checked my ammonia levels and saw it was 4 ppm. I rushed into a 60 percent water change and added some prime before testing the water again. It’s now at .50, the am mount in our tap water. She had made a mess of her repashy and hidden it under her hide, along with a huge poop right where I couldn’t see. I think I’ll start feeding her when I feed repashy separately, but she’ll be okay right? It wasn’t for long, I tested it last week and it was good. She was eating every to every other day, and her gills are red and normal. I feel like a super bad owner, but she’s not acting any different, and still comes up the glass when I walk by.

leomleite

Reaction score
Probably your cycle is not good enough to handle the ammount of waste. What do you use for a filter?
Also, doing such big water changes can totally crash your cycle, worsening the ammonia problems later on.

Cheers!

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Probably your cycle is not good enough to handle the ammount of waste. What do you use for a filter?
Also, doing such big water changes can totally crash your cycle, worsening the ammonia problems later on.

Cheers!
Thanks for your help! I’ve never had any problem before, maybe all that piled up waste it wasn’t use too. I use a Aquaclear 20 and a sponge filter rated for a 50 gallon. Calgary opera does weekly water changes at 50% without problems. He/she probably has really strong cycles though. I also exaggerated, it was probably a 30-40%, still a rather large portion of the water though. I’ll test her water once I get home from school again, and give updates on the parameters.

leomleite

Reaction score
Alright then, keep an eye on the parameters to make sure it was only caused by that hidden dirt. Good luck and don't freak out, lool

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
You can do a 100% water change and not crash your cycle.

Your cycle is in your filters and as long as your water changes dont take too long and you dont clean or touch your filters your cycle stays intact.

I personally do 75% weekly water changes on my 10 axolotl tanks. Ranging from 33 gallons up to 60 gallons - yes that 400g of just axolotl tanks. I have about 70 tubs I do daily as well.

Cheers!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Watch closely even 1 day of high ammonia can cause burns. 4ppm SHOULD have been converted by your cycle within 24 hours. I would test daily for the next week or so. You may need to up your power filter size.

So today I checked my ammonia levels and saw it was 4 ppm. I rushed into a 60 percent water change and added some prime before testing the water again. It’s now at .50, the am mount in our tap water. She had made a mess of her repashy and hidden it under her hide, along with a huge poop right where I couldn’t see. I think I’ll start feeding her when I feed repashy separately, but she’ll be okay right? It wasn’t for long, I tested it last week and it was good. She was eating every to every other day, and her gills are red and normal. I feel like a super bad owner, but she’s not acting any different, and still comes up the glass when I walk by.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Watch closely even 1 day of high ammonia can cause burns. 4ppm SHOULD have been converted by your cycle within 24 hours. I would test daily for the next week or so. You may need to up your power filter size.
You can do a 100% water change and not crash your cycle.

Your cycle is in your filters and as long as your water changes dont take too long and you dont clean or touch your filters your cycle stays intact.

I personally do 75% weekly water changes on my 10 axolotl tanks. Ranging from 33 gallons up to 60 gallons - yes that 400g of just axolotl tanks. I have about 70 tubs I do daily as well.
Okay thank you! Last night I tested it and it was .25 ppm, so idk what happened. I’ll test again after school, it should be gone hopefully. I had just swapped out a purigen pack, so maybe that caused it. But it was 2 weeks later when the ammonia rose. I can do a meth blue bath when I get home, but I don’t see any signs of know of ammonia burns

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Okay thank you! Last night I tested it and it was .25 ppm, so idk what happened. I’ll test again after school, it should be gone hopefully. I had just swapped out a purigen pack, so maybe that caused it. But it was 2 weeks later when the ammonia rose. I can do a meth blue bath when I get home, but I don’t see any signs of know of ammonia burns
Okay, update!! Tested ammonia again, and it’s at 0! Idk what happened, but I’ll on the lookout for hidden poops😂😂

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!