Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia won’t go to Zero, please help

Whichwhatwho214

Reaction score
Hi, I have a tank that I thought was cycled, and I know it’s a constant process, however I can’t seem to get my ammonia down to zero. There are currently no creatures in my aquarium other than plants and a ton of brown algae. My levels for the past two weeks have held steady around

PH : 7.4-7.6
Ammonia : 0 -.25
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 5 - 10

Other notes about aquarium:
50 gallon filled, 70 gallon aqua clear filter, temp stays at 60*F, aqueon LED light runs 10 hours daily, 2 Anubis and 2 Java ferns.

I am hoping at some point the healthy green algae would start to grow and replace the brown algae but it’s not changing. Am I being impatient? My poor Axolotl are living in tubs while I wait for the tank. Is there anything I can do?

DrJade

Reaction score
Hi, I have a tank that I thought was cycled, and I know it’s a constant process, however I can’t seem to get my ammonia down to zero. There are currently no creatures in my aquarium other than plants and a ton of brown algae. My levels for the past two weeks have held steady around

PH : 7.4-7.6
Ammonia : 0 -.25
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 5 - 10

Other notes about aquarium:
50 gallon filled, 70 gallon aqua clear filter, temp stays at 60*F, aqueon LED light runs 10 hours daily, 2 Anubis and 2 Java ferns.

I am hoping at some point the healthy green algae would start to grow and replace the brown algae but it’s not changing. Am I being impatient? My poor Axolotl are living in tubs while I wait for the tank. Is there anything I can do?
Make sure you clean the tube for testing really well, rinse and wipe out well with rubbing alcohol if need be. We have noticed we get .25 sometimes from a dirty(not visible ) tube. If you have nitrate you a cycled.

minorhero

Reaction score
Make sure you are looking at the tube in sunlight even if it's overcast. Many light bulbs produce such horrible light that it can be very difficult to tell the difference between zero ammonia and .25 ammonia.

I would also reduce your light cycle to a maximum of 8 hours a day. If you need to have more viewing time, you can split that light cycle up so that it's say two or four hours in the morning and the rest in the afternoon / evening.

Whichwhatwho214

Reaction score
Make sure you are looking at the tube in sunlight even if it's overcast. Many light bulbs produce such horrible light that it can be very difficult to tell the difference between zero ammonia and .25 ammonia.

I would also reduce your light cycle to a maximum of 8 hours a day. If you need to have more viewing time, you can split that light cycle up so that it's say two or four hours in the morning and the rest in the afternoon / evening.
Thank you for the idea, I’ll do that .

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the others that this may be an issue with the readout of the test kit, not a problem with your water. Do a negative control: test some bottled water or rainwater side-by-side with your aquarium water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1