Question: Amphibians for a 5 gallon

Axolotl1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!!

I have a 5 gallon aquarium just sitting around and I would love to put something in it. I am interested in possibly putting a newt, frog or some other kind of aquatic/semi-aquatic amphibian in there.

Please, do you have any suggestions of any creature that could live in a five gallon aquarium throughout its entire life span?

Thank you very much for reading,
Hilary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safely, I don't think any salamanders, except maybe a two lined salamander, which is pushing it for me. Maybe Oak toads could live in 5 gallons, but if you're really looking for something that could live in something that small to minimize space, you probably shouldn't get the animals. At least go for a 10 gallon, as more species can live in that than a measly 5 gallon. Again, bigger is better! Here's some care-sheets: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Eurycea - Two-lined and Junaluska Bufo quercicus... The Oak Toad!! if you like Ninja's, you'll love this thread!! - talk to the frog Toads of the United States All the best, and please, look for a bigger tank!

I haven't kept them myself, but maybe African dwarf frogs (Hymenochirus) are a possibility? I do agree with Xavier though, a 10 gallon tank would give you far more options.

I've successfully kept single African dwarf frogs in 5 gallon aquariums outfitted with a sponge filter, preset thermometer/heater and plenty of live plants. As long as the temperature doesn't fluctuate to wildly in the room, they'll do good.

I've successfully kept single African dwarf frogs in 5 gallon aquariums outfitted with a sponge filter, preset thermometer/heater and plenty of live plants. As long as the temperature doesn't fluctuate to wildly in the room, they'll do good.

Would I be able to keep fire belly newts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they'd still at least need a cycled 10 gallon enclosure

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back