Amphiuma

G

greg

I just adopted 3 large Amphiuma tridactylium. I've never had more than one at a time... can they be housed together? Seems like they might not do well that way.

Greg

Awesome salamanders. I had one that I fed rat pups to on occasion. I always kept mine separate as well. I heard a story once about an Amphiuma tridactylum that was housed in a zoo exhibit with an adult texas ratsnake. The ratsnake hung out on the limbs and shelves that hung over the water area. Eventually the Amphiuma got ahold of the ratsnake and took a large chunk out of it!

Doesn't answer your question really... but I would keep them separate unless you are wanting to try breeding them.

Hi Greg, I have found that Amphiuma (all 3 of the species) seem to do better in the long run if kept separately. They often coexist for considerable durations then for reasons known best to them will injure each other. Good luck w/these. They are easily maintained and very long-lived. A friend in Asheville NC has one in a classroom that eats not only traditional fare (nightcrawlers, fish, & frogs) but also eagerly accepts an occasional mouse and piece of bologna as well. Adults can bite HARD and will often emerge partially from the water in their eagerness to eat. If you watch the ease with which large A. tridactylum and A. means kill mice, you will know that you don't really want to be bitten by one. Rgds/Dick

Wow, they don't look that big or mean in the pictures I've seen! But from what I just read from your comments, I think I'll stick with my harmless snake thank you very much!

A student of mine is doing a report on the two-toed amphiuma. Could anyone tell me its lifespan?

(Message approved by admin)

I have an amphiuma that i am raising, i found it on someones trotline, it was badly bleeding so i took it in. From what i have read here, it's bite is bad. i was wondering if i am ever bitten by it, should i go to the doctor for it? i think possibly that the bacteria in it's mouth could be more harmful than the bite it self. does anyone know?

(Message approved by admin)

While the teeth are very sharp and the jaws give a very good pinch, it's not going to require a doctor's visit. You'll bleed quite a bit if it gets a good hold of you, but the teeth are still relatively small and the bite will be superficial. There's no toxic bacteria in the mouth like a komodo dragon or anything
uhoh.gif

Just letting everyone know how I set them up. they are in individual rubber-maide containers ... the kinda cloudy ones that are not quite clear but perhaps are trying to be. the lids lock down with dark gray flip-tabs. I drilled a few 1/2" holes in the lid for ventilation.

I am using spring water and running little power filters in each enclosure (ovations?... they were on sale... whatever they are).

the beasts are eating crayfish, cooked shrimp, pellet food, goldfish, and attempting to eat aquarium siphons, fingers, and forceps (cooked shrimp are handed to them). they do not seem to mind the filters though.

Water changes are probably averaging every 2-3 weeks now that I added the filters. It was weekly prior to that.

they are in my basement on the floor without heater and doing fine.

It's a boring set-up, but seems to be working.

greg

Si I love my Amphiuma and am getting bold-- was thinking about breeding it. Two questions: 1) I've tried to sex it (her?) but am not too confident in my abilities. Any advice here? 2) Has anyone had succeed breeding them? Any advice?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back