Andersoni 160 in 120

RG

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
A. andersoni with a black belly.

It goes well with the andersoni in first stay. A week ago they switched to different food. The Daphnia probably caused health problems. It was also time, now there is no Daphnia in the ditch. Thousands of small fish, together with the warmer weather, put an end to the food.
It is amazing how quickly they are accustomed to other foods.
The young andersoni eat more per day than the 7 adult animals in one week. The andersoni that have been moved to the garage have been lost. A small number of these are still alive. Next week there has to be divided again.

Attachments

RG

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Update 1

A small summary of what has occurred.
16 of the approximately 130 animals in the garage are still alive. A bacterial infection has caused a slaughter on the animals. At first it appeared that it was a fungus. Treatment with salt, however, did not provide any improvement. I also added extra salt to the water tanks to reduce the problem. This had the disadvantage that filtering became worse and the contamination became larger. The contamination stopped when I added Furan to the water. This may have worked, but I am not sure of it. The water tanks in the house also had problems with this bacteria, but much less. Here it has stopped by itself. This contamination halved the number of animals. It is possible that these bacteria eat the meat, after which fungi occur. The animal on the photo has eaten well 8 hours before this picture is taken. (Disease description: starting as white dots on the finger points, then it quickly falls over to the legs and then it comes onto the body).
The chance of infection from animal to animal is probably not high. Because in the beginning I thought it was a fungal infection, I fed all salamanders with affected feet to my Axolotls. The Axolotls did not experience any adverse effects. I consciously did not feed the animal in the picture to the Axolotls, so I could wait for the result and take a picture.

Attachments

supergrappler

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Skeeter
Re: A. andersoni with a black belly.

It goes well with the andersoni in first stay. A week ago they switched to different food. The Daphnia probably caused health problems. It was also time, now there is no Daphnia in the ditch. Thousands of small fish, together with the warmer weather, put an end to the food.
It is amazing how quickly they are accustomed to other foods.
The young andersoni eat more per day than the 7 adult animals in one week. The andersoni that have been moved to the garage have been lost. A small number of these are still alive. Next week there has to be divided again.
What beautiful animals!
Sorry you lost some due to fungus.
Hopefully you will have more survivors than casualties.
Thank you for sharing your journey.

RG

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
They survived almost everything.

It's been a while since my last post.
A lot has happened to the animals. The (40) young andersoni who were kept in a ditch outside in a mesh container. Have shown themselves as good survivors. Daytime water temperatures of thirty degrees Celsius were no exception in this extremely hot summer. And the water was contaminated with blue algae for a few weeks. The (20) andersoni living in the house also survive this difficult time. The animals 12-13cm had to leave because it became impossible to provide enough food. Made an appointment with a reptile and amphibian shop to offer all animals at a large reptile fair. An extra table was arranged especially for my animals. A few days before this fair, I received a call saying that there is new European legislation regarding the trading of newts. it was now forbidden to trade salamanders within Europe. Everything changed now, and the inevitable happened in the following month. Animals deteriorated visibly, 6 andersoni selected and placed in the box in the house, the other animals went outside. finally the animals in the house survived 2 male 4 female. A male has been put in the aquarium. This is because a man died after I fed him a guppy. This was the first time a guppy was fed and also the last time, don't know what went wrong. Vacation 08-2019 been a month to indonesia. My pump starts to leak 4 weeks before departure. Ordered and installed a new 900 l / h pump, the next morning the water was not crystal clear. The water slowly began to whiten. Bacterial growth in the new pump I thought this would normalize soon. But it went differently than I expected. On the day of departure for Indonesia, the water was still not crystal clear. Everything transferred to the new caretaker and left. In all good intentions the caregiver decided after a few days to do a water change. So this had the opposite effect. When I returned the water was still not 100% and I found a dead animal floating. Two animals had eye damage, one of them on both eyes. This was bad luck if the old pump had not leaked, probably nothing bad had happened. it took more than a month before everything was crystal clear again. 03-2020 It seems that the blind animal has started to see a bit again, the white pupils are a bit more dark again. The deceased female has been replaced by a young female of her own.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.