Andrias davidanus

P

paul

Hy,
last weekend I mad this pic!
15142.jpg

It's a approximate 1 m long andrias daviduinus, living in Aqua Zoo, Germany, Duesseldorf

Paul

Hi Paul,
nice picture. Löbbecke Aqua Zoo in Düsseldorf is indeed a very nice place to visit.

Wow, never seen one before. I would like to use this photo to make a new entry for this species on Caudata Culture, if you don't mind.

Hi Jennifer,

feel free To use it.
Here you see its gigantic mouth.
15149.jpg

Paul

Great pictures, there are still a lot of them in Blijdorp Zoo in Rotterdam (the Netherlands) if you ever are in that area. They have tried breeding them a few times, but never got further then eggs.

Hi Serge,

I think Klaus Haker was the only one in Europe who breed them (1995).

Paul

(Message edited by Paul_B on April 27, 2004)

can anyone tell me a bit about this species. they are extraordinary

Hi Paul,

the "Chinese giant salamander" (Andrias davidianus) lives in mountain rivers of Quinghai to Jiangsu, Southsichuan, Guangxi, Guangdong – China.
Total length up to 1,10 m.
Family: Cryptobranchidae

Paul

Hi all
Well, this breeding "success", becomes slightly less sensational, when you watch the "stamp-tank", those animals were put in. Sticking them on each other, would have been the next step, reducing space.:D
Greets,

Hi Philipp,

I agree !
The more I wonder, that he was able to breed them.

Paul

Nice pics, Paul! Those support what I have read, namely that the Chinese variety of Andrias is considerably less warty than the Japanese one.

fishermen's legs
wink.gif

No good question, I was wondering the same thing as I was reading this topic. Anybody?

At a conference last year they showed pictures of stowach washed of the Japanese species and there was a large number of fresh water crabs, some fish, some rodents and amphibians including other Andrias. Apparently anything they can grab and overpower..

Ed

So maybe fishermen's legs isn't that far off-hehe
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back