Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Andrias japonicus

P

philipp

Good Evening
Unfortunately, there are a lot more of those creatures in captivity, mostly kept in much too small tanks, without caves to hide or anything like that,....
They came in most zoos little smaller and grew, while their enclosures didn´t.
In Germany, there are very large ones in Stuttgart(very skinny, when i had been there the last time, half rotten goldfish on the surface of the water,30cms of water,...),Ulm,Karlsruhe,.....
Hopefully, they aren´t bred that much in here,
cause nearly noone can really offer them the space, they actually need.Here in Ulm, e.g., the specimen has to live in an enclosure, being about 40 cm longer than the animal itself, having a piece of wood an moss with it, but more as a kind of "decoration", than to hide the animal,....
Sad, very sad,...
Had been in a cellar of a very "V.I.P" newtlover in germany some years ago, who kept a Juvenile A.davidianus in an aquarium, about 30 cm longer than the newt, with a piece of bark on the surface,...
Simply to OWN such an animal,....
"Our" giant in here even escaped when he was smaller long time ago through canalisation of the vivarium and lived many years in the artificial rivers of the local park area around,....
Greets,
Philipp

A

aaron

Kaysie, many zoos worldwide are trying to breed these, and they usually have some in separate enclosures behind the scenes for breeding purposes. That may explain why you only saw two.

~Aaron

A

aaron

Btw, I am sorry for any misconceptions my post from October 6 may have brought about. That was just info that had been relayed to me from someone during a cryptobranchid lecture.

~Aaron

K

kaysie

Aaron, i'm sure of that. and i hope they do breed. rejoicing around the world, from caudate-lovers everywhere! detroit zoo has quite a large setup, and for a pair, or trio, i feel it was adequate. clean, flowing water, cold... i hope they're happy enough there that someone gets in the mood. maybe slip some spanish fly into the water. lol. btw: does anyone know where detroit zoo got their cryptobranchids

B

ben

in reference to the Andrias at Bristol, i worked at the zoo for the last three years of the animals life now almost 10 years ago, it had reached a size of almost 1.2metres and had a hearty appetite right to the end feeding on fresh trout and the occasional rat for Fibre it was fed using 450mm long tongs which it regularly swallowed to my finger tips. it was certainly my favourite animal in the zoo even though it never made it onto display as an adult!
Ben Baker

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1