Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aneides lugubris breeding success

SnotOtter

Reaction score
What temps do you keep yours at? I've had eggs, but have been mostly infertile.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
What temps do you keep yours at? I've had eggs, but have been mostly infertile.

In winter they're kept at 40-55 degrees for about 3 months. And in warmer months 50-65 degrees. I have a friend who's gotten infertile eggs before and he can't figure it out either. Even though his housing is amazing similar to mine.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
The circle of life! Well it seems things are steady rotating. Back to looking after babies again. They are slowly emerging from their little eggs. Anyone want any please email me.

verticalflat@gmail.com

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 520

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
The babies hatched September 19th. They're doing great and still have remnants of yolk.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 501

onetwentysix

Reaction score
Not pro! Just lucky. Lucky enough to have a chance to work with this species. I think Aneides lugubris is a very hardy salamander and will breed for anyone who provides the right elements.

Congrats on your animals, haven't been active on the forums in a long time and I'm glad to see you've had success with them!

I have three lugubris, and was surprised to see two sets of tiny eyes staring out at me when I went to return an animal to the enclosure (I'd taken him out to show some kids when I was doing a program at work), and then found eight more with the parents (both adults were in the hide, if I remember right - I was a bit excited so it might have just been the mother). Definitely didn't do anything special, aside from the terrarium design - a flowerpot hide on its side, opening mostly covered in clayed-up wood, and a clay background with lots of tiny cracks - the little guys seemed to love hiding in the cracks as I raced to remove them from the parent tank, afraid they'd be eaten. Three weeks later, I found another little guy, so I was wondering, did you notice (or have any chance to notice) any potential cannibalism from the adults? He was out in the open, just a few inches from the adult I don't believe he's related to, and hadn't been eaten in that time - I was half tempted to leave him in there just to see how he'd do, but don't really want to risk it.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Congrats on your animals, haven't been active on the forums in a long time and I'm glad to see you've had success with them!

I have three lugubris, and was surprised to see two sets of tiny eyes staring out at me when I went to return an animal to the enclosure (I'd taken him out to show some kids when I was doing a program at work), and then found eight more with the parents (both adults were in the hide, if I remember right - I was a bit excited so it might have just been the mother). Definitely didn't do anything special, aside from the terrarium design - a flowerpot hide on its side, opening mostly covered in clayed-up wood, and a clay background with lots of tiny cracks - the little guys seemed to love hiding in the cracks as I raced to remove them from the parent tank, afraid they'd be eaten. Three weeks later, I found another little guy, so I was wondering, did you notice (or have any chance to notice) any potential cannibalism from the adults? He was out in the open, just a few inches from the adult I don't believe he's related to, and hadn't been eaten in that time - I was half tempted to leave him in there just to see how he'd do, but don't really want to risk it.

I think the risk is of parents eating the babies are very low. As long as your adults are well fed I think they're safe to be left with the parents for a while. But as precaution, removing the babies or the parents isn't a bad idea. Since the parents have done their job and no longer can do anything else for the babies, separation is a good idea.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Another year, another batch of eggs. This time the same female has laid 2 clutches of eggs.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 439
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!