Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another amplexus question

D

denise

My toads seem to be acting quite strange. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't toads suppose to engage in lovemaking the same way as dogs, etc.

My male toad continues to harrass the other two. I still have yet to figure out if the other two are males or females but now the male toad that does all the calling has taken to putting the other toad right on his back and he appears to be trying to copulate that way. Of course the other toad is NOT impressed and trys desperately to get free. This happens over and over during the day. When the third toad hears the poor toad trying to get free, it often comes over and strikes out, as if in an effort to help the toad that is on his back.

Any ideas on what is going on with these toads?

A

ajfr0ggy

It could be males just being terretorial, or at least 2 are males.
the toads grab anything that moves, usually just feeding them makes them grab anything!
'toad 3' sees 'toad 1' attempting to mate with 'toad 2', and tries to get rid of toad 1 so he can mate with toad 2, even though toad 2 could be either a male or a female.

AJfr0ggy

S

summer

how do u make fbt well...mate. i have breeding grass. should their be a light please help

A

ajfr0ggy

How many have you got? are any males?
If youve not seen any attempts at mating yet, either something is wrong, or theyre all females. please describe your set-up

AJfr0ggy

S

summer

I have 4 fbt. 2 of them are males 1 is female. The other one I'm not sure about.(it looks like both male and female)My tank is set up by having 2 parts of it having water and the rest land. I have a live/real plant on land and 5 or 6 plants in the water, so that way they will fill like there in the wild. I also have a couple of fake plants that they can climb in or on or both.lol.They also have a thing called a coco-hut. I got it for my hermit crabs but my fbt's liked it better. I have seen them on top of one another. I do hear them sing sometimes, but mostly they make a squckey noise. I hope there is nothing wrong.
Thanks
-Summer

A

ajfr0ggy

Hmm, It may be that theres not enough water to make them feel like breeding. The range of bombina orientalis is so great, so some 'races' may need more in the way as seasoning than others. How long have you had them? they may need a couple of months to settle in

AJfr0ggy

han

Reaction score
Hi

Breeding Bombina succesfully depends on a few basic care-conditions.
Males and females. Gender-difference is easy to determine when the toads are adults and well-fed (not bloated due to a non-nutrious cricket-diet!).
During the mating-season, the males definitely have thicker, more muscular fore-arms;in general their hind-legs are longer,their skin have more and clearer warts.
Cool winter-period. A period of 2 months at max
53F triggers reproduction in spring, day-lenght about 8 hours; egg-development.Low/no food-interest.
Food. When water/air-temps and day-lenght (up to 14 hours) gradually rise after the winters-rest, food should be offered on a daily basis to make up for the loss of weight and to trigger reproduction by "telling" them, yes , there will be enough food for off-spring.
Crickets are the worst food you can offer: hard to digest, food-value about zero.Wildcaught earthworms, slugs, spiders or moths are much better for food.
Light. Bombina needs a lot of light to flourish, but no heat (fluorescent tubes/PL-light), although a weak basking-spot is very much appreciated during the mating-season.
Temperature. Max water-temp 73F; max air-temp 75F.
Water. Bombina is aquatic, needs a lot of water especially during the mating-season; just a water-bowl is not enough; 80% water (3 inches
deep), 20% "land" (bricks, oaken wood etc.)will do nicely.A lot of floating water-plants, good filtration and the use of a porous gravel will take care of a good water-quality for both eggs and tadpoles.
Keep disturbances to a minimum. Handling should,of course always be avoided.
Good luck!
Han.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1