Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another filter issue

jessica

Reaction score
Hi I have a fluval submersible power filter for my FBT's and I think the motor is dying but I'm not sure. I'm going to try a few things like maybe taking it out for a few days and drying it out and just changing their water more often. In the meantime if it turns out there is no hope I'm looking for a filter that WILL survive. I've had this one for 6 weeks. I would like input from people that have had filters last. Thanks

J

jennifer

If it died that soon, you should be able to get an exchange from the pet shop or from Fluval. If you want to call Fluval, their number is:
US: 800-724-2436
Canada: 800-554-2436
Fluval may be able to help you troubleshoot what went wrong.

A

alan

I have Fluval submersible filters which are more than 10 years old and still going strong. Are you sure the impeller isn't getting clogged with debris, sand or gravel? What position is the filter in?

jessica

Reaction score
The filter is horizontal but the packaging and instructions say it's ok. I've already taken out the impeller itself and rinsed it which got it working but it's still making a loud noise similar to what it sounds like when the water is low but the water isn't low. The gravel is too big to get caught in the filter. I'll probably call the company but I think they have M-F hours eastern. Thanks

A

alan

Sounds as if the position could be a problem, or vibration against the tank itself. Hold the filter and lift it slightly - does the noise stop? If so, it's vibration.
Run it upright in a bucket of water (make sure no air is trapped) - does the noise stop?

Woo Hoo - 100 posts!

jessica

Reaction score
Ok sorry if any of this post seems curt as I am not my usual self due to a cold. I do not understand by what you mean put the filter in a bucket, I don't get how it will filter the tank water or did you mean just to test it? Maybe it would make sense if the cold wasn't taking over my brain right now. I think I might be able to try running it and then holding it up like you suggested. Your ideas have been helpful seriously, thanks. If it turns out that it's not running right due to position than the product has failed what it has promised.

A

alan

Just to test if it makes a noise when fully submerged in an upright position.
Hope your cold is better soon!

jessica

Reaction score
Hey thanks I'm much better than I was. Well I changed the foam pads-AGAIN and didn't run the filter for two or three days and now it seems ok. The "noise" didn't seem directly related to the changing of the foam pads before because it was 4 days after I changed them and because I had temporarily unplugged it to rinse out the impeller and the pads and then the motor wasn't even running. Maybe I'm not out of the dark yet but I really appreciate all your thoughts
happy.gif

M

mark

Glad you could get it working, i use Fluval filters to and i've never had any problems with mine.

jessica

Reaction score
Yeah I thought it was strange to have problems with it so early which is why I turned to posting about it
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!