Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any good for absolute beginner?

W

william

i was wondering if dart frogs are any good for absolute frog beginners? if so what would be good species to start with and where can i get them in the UK?

A

alan

Good quality CB dart frogs aren't that hard to keep, especially if you have experience with other amphibians or with fish.

The best tip I can give you is set your viv(s) up and get culturing the necessary livefoods sorted for some time *before* you even consider getting any pdfs - by then you should know whether they're for you or not (do you really want your house full of Drosophila?).

Epipedobates tricolor are a good species to start with. If you want to spend a little more, I can't speak highly enough of Dendrobates leucomelas. Steer away from the smaller frogs at first.

You may be interested in:
http://www.dendroboard.co.uk/

I just updated my website (link below).

W

william

oh okay thanks, i'd be fine with drosophila, but i'm not sure my mum would welcome it with loving arms. what about d. azureus?

A

alan

D. azureus is among the more expensive frogs. Cost depends on who you buy them from. You can find Epipedobates tricolor for 10-20 quid.

W

william

right i'm pretty sure i'm going to get some. i've drawn up a list of species that seem good,
phyllobates vittatus
p.bicolor
dendrobates azureus
d. leucomelas
d. tinctorious
d. galactonotus
are in there. one question, i know that species mixing is a bad idea, but i've been to zoos where they keep two different species together. if this is possible, which of the species above could i mix together

A

alan

You could mix any two of those species from different genera, but only if your viv is big enough, e.g. several cubic metres for those species. In other words, species mixing is not going to work for you, especially as a newbie. Start out with one species.

P

paul

My first frogs were Cobalt tincs... they got on top of each other and "did it" a few months after i put them in the tank... i cant find any eggs...( my tank is a 75 gallon heavy duty planted tank with slate waterfalls all on the backs......)
-Paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1