Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any newtz keepers in Malaysia / Singapore ?

koidiscus

Reaction score
Hi all members ! I'm new to the world of newtz (just bought 9 FB 5 days ago.)

I have been a freshwater fish keeper for the past 20 years and recently has decided to switch for new challenge. Therefore, I have cleaned my 4 ft tank and decorate it with bog woods and half filled water and recycled with a pump + matured bio-filter mat. After reading through almost 70% of this forum + the site articles I think I got the critical information to start venturing to this new hobby.

As I live in tropical countries, the normal water temperature for an in-house aquarium would be at 25°C (77°C). At the pet shop, there is no temperature regulation at all. Getting an electrical cooling device is much too costly (~US200) comparing to the price of the newt I bought (~US 1.50 for a FB), so I am still not "crazy" enough for this creature to spend the money. What I did to achieve a lower temperature is immersing frozen ice water in a 1.5 liter bottle and let it thaw itself. I change the bottle every 12 hours (7am and 7 pm). By doing this I see the newts spend more time in the water and has better appetite. I plan to do this for 45 days (to simulate the winter season) then stop for a while to induce breeding.

I have a few questions to ask:
1) Are there forum members currently live in Malaysia / Singapore ?
2) Do we need to keep the temperature low if the newt are originated from China and has been transport to this region - shouldn't they have adapted to our climate ?
3) There are many foods used by the forum members who lived in US and Europe but live food such as black worm can hardly found in this area. I'm currently feeding frozen bloodworm, any other local available food I can try ?
4) I used to train arowana / carnivorous fish to feed on market prawn, anyone has tried this on newt ?
5) I have put 3 baby guppies (1cm) in the tank for them to eat those leftover food (small pieces), I think of putting a freshwater prawn (2 - 3 cm) to make them clean the food residue, any comments?

Thanks in advance for answering to my questions, and best regards to all forum members:D.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
1) Are there forum members currently live in Malaysia / Singapore ?
I'm not, I'm just answering some of your questions.

2) Do we need to keep the temperature low if the newt are originated from China and has been transport to this region - shouldn't they have adapted to our climate ?
They don't adapt. You have to give them the temperatures of their native habitat. If temperatures are a problem, get Cynops pyrrhogaster or Cynops ensicauda (or subspecies). Tylototriton verrucosus will do well too (not the orange one, that's now called Tylototriton shanjing). Cynops orientalis is not suitable.

3) There are many foods used by the forum members who lived in US and Europe but live food such as black worm can hardly found in this area. I'm currently feeding frozen bloodworm, any other local available food I can try ?
Frozen bloodworm is a perfectly acceptable staple food. If you can get hold of earthworms they are also a very good food. You only really need live food for larvae.

4) I used to train arowana / carnivorous fish to feed on market prawn, anyone has tried this on newt ?
Yes, people have had success with these, particularly for axolotls (not suitable for your water temperature). However we hesitate to recommend them as a regular food due to concerns about their marine origin (probably not a big issue).

5) I have put 3 baby guppies (1cm) in the tank for them to eat those leftover food (small pieces), I think of putting a freshwater prawn (2 - 3 cm) to make them clean the food residue, any comments?
Guppies should be ok, though they can carry newt-communicable diseases and parasites. They also make occasional food for newts. The prawn/shrimp are something you could try but newt legs are delicate and might make tempting pieces of food for prawn with decent claws.

Thanks in advance for answering to my questions, and best regards to all forum members:D.

It's good to have you here ;).

-John

koidiscus

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, there is only CO available at this time. I should seriously looking around for the 2 species you introduced.

In the mean time, I just need to keep changing the frozen bottles; so far they are eating fine, just 3 of them keep staying out from water as they have injured limbs. For these 3, I tried to feed them manually, and they do consume a bit of bloodworm.:animal:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, there is only CO available at this time. I should seriously looking around for the 2 species you introduced.

In the mean time, I just need to keep changing the frozen bottles; so far they are eating fine, just 3 of them keep staying out from water as they have injured limbs. For these 3, I tried to feed them manually, and they do consume a bit of bloodworm.:animal:

That sounds like a rather precarious situation. Good luck with it though. Remember, rooms lower in the house tend to be cooler, and the floor is always cooler than a shelf. The difference can be several degrees Celsius.

ntny

Reaction score
hi koidiscus,

i am from singapore, i keep
tag.png
tag.png
P. chinensis.
did you see any mandrain newts in malaysia?

btw which state are u in?

ahmad

Reaction score
hi koidiscus, im ahmad, from Seri Kembangan,Malaysia.
i also new in this newt hobby. i also face same problem with u, regarding the temperature issue.chiller is too expensive here and im doing the same thing like you, thawed the frozen ice water in bottles by immersing it.anyway, where did u get your newt?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1