Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone been near San Francisco?

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking of watching the migration of California newts. Anyone have any tips on when to go? Or where in the park the greatest numbers can be seen? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

warrior

Reaction score
They should be all around that park in or near wetlands.As they do have signs posted,caution:newt crossing.Another good place to see them is **edited** although ive never seen any there when I visited that park.Its weird that ive only found 1 terrestrial taricha torosa all the trips ive went looking for them and luckily spotted 6 T.rivularis in a few trips with the help of a friend.Ive never been to tilden but heard or read that its filled with newts.

Last edited by a moderator:

pete

Reaction score
Funny, I'm so close, yet I've never gone to check them out in **edited**. I caught a newt migration in late Febuary, or early March two years ago, but it was in the north bay. I'd suspect that's the time to go, as to precisely where to go in **edited**, I don't know off hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

pete

Reaction score
Ok, I dug out the pics. We weren't there for the newts, so I don't have too many pictures of them.

Attachments

• Newt.jpg
    Newt.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 359
  • Newts.jpg
    Newts.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 338
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!