Anyone ever kept tailed frogs?

Hecklad

Reaction score
Country
United States
I find them to be one of the most fascinating North American frogs and would love to own a group some day and potentially breed them (that said I have no clue on whether or not it's legal to catch them in any states they occur in). I am curious if it has been done before and any input is appreciated

I don't think anybody has kept them in captivity but I've read about them. They live in flowing streams so would need a sort of hillstream paludarium with lots of big pebbles to hide under. To breed them you would need to aestivate the adults over winter like you would with fire belly toads and such. The tadpoles have a big sucker similar to plecos and you would probably need to grow biofilm on the rocks for them to graze on (like hillstream loaches and freshwater gobies do)

That sounds like a super fun setup and would be fairly easy to do. Any idea what their maximum temperatures are? keeping them cold in the winter would be easy, but if they need it cold during summer too that could prove an issue without a chiller.

That sounds like a super fun setup and would be fairly easy to do. Any idea what their maximum temperatures are? keeping them cold in the winter would be easy, but if they need it cold during summer too that could prove an issue without a chiller.
the streams they inhabit are cold mountain streams with snow melt run off so the water would require chilling. Air temperatures in summer where they live can reach in 30c + some days but it would be cooler down by the forest streams they live in.

Yeah, after doing some more reading it seems like the adults would be fairly easy to keep as they aren't truly dependent on the frigid water or air temps, but raising tadpoles and breeding the adults would be the kicker. Apparently during summer adults can be found up to 300+ meters away from water and can also be found in (relatively) warmer standing pools/ponds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back