Anyone ever use paint??

DiscusDream

New member
Joined
Jul 12, 2014
Messages
48
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
South Carolina
Country
United States
Has anyone ever painted any of your DIY projects that go INSIDE your tank?? I have done it for my fish tanks quite a few times, but not sure if it will hurt the Axies. I have a couple of things in mind that I would really like to do, but want to make sure it's ok first. I can't recall reading anything about it.
 
Any of the paints that are aquarium safe should be fine but they also sell this special kind of sealant that you apply over basically anything to make it aquarium safe
 
Do you know what the sealant is? I have never sealed anything that I put in my fish tank. I usually just let it cure for a couple of weeks after I paint it. I guess I'm just nervous about the Axolotls absorbing stuff since I have never had any Axolotls before.

"If in doubt, leave it out"....right?? I'm hoping some of you can alleviate my doubt.
 
Krylon Fusion spray paint is aquarium safe and cheap, can find it at walmart, home depot, etc. Here you can see a clay planter pot cut in half and painted with a forest green krylon fusion. It does not need any sealants or anything.
 

Attachments

  • 10530658_10152667398766155_1781307312013553497_n.jpg
    10530658_10152667398766155_1781307312013553497_n.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 229
Ahhhhh! Just the testimonial I was looking for!!! I have used fusion in my fish tanks. I have also used one....can't remember the name......that has a rubbery feel to it when it dries, and over time, my Java moss and stuff would latch on.

I don't worry so much about using paint in my fish tanks since I have done it so much. But, I wasn't sure how the axies would do with it.

Thank you for that Jonjey!!

ETA: Black Fusion will be perfect for my first project!!!!
 
Ahhhhh! Just the testimonial I was looking for!!! I have used fusion in my fish tanks. I have also used one....can't remember the name......that has a rubbery feel to it when it dries, and over time, my Java moss and stuff would latch on.

I don't worry so much about using paint in my fish tanks since I have done it so much. But, I wasn't sure how the axies would do with it.

Thank you for that Jonjey!!

ETA: Black Fusion will be perfect for my first project!!!!

No problem, glad I could help. What kind of project?
 
Can also confirm krylon fusion. Try to avoid metallic paints (in krylon too). I've read they can contain a different ingredient that can affect axolotls. I sprayed my DIY 3D background with it and everyone is living happy. Another member here has used to for years and has confirmed it hadn't caused illness, deaths and happy breeding in the couple of years it's been in his tank.
 
First project is nothing spectacular. I'm just going to put together a platform with slate tiles on top to make an extra level in the tank. I am planning on using PVC for the legs and frame, but didn't want to stick white pipe in my tank, since the back of my tank is painted black. Painting it black will help it "disappear" a little. I also need to build some sort of baffle for my HOB filter, and, again, I want it to disappear against the background.

I can probably come up with a lot of projects!! I LOVE messing around with my tanks, and I LOVE spray paint!!! I am always looking for something to paint!!
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top