Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone know UK seller of blackworms?

jane1187

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading about foods for newt larvae and I have new hatchlings which are eating baby brine shrimps.

Everyone is recommending chopped up live blackworms but I live in the UK and can'e find any UK website that supplies them (being a relatively recent US livefood I imagine they haven't quite arrived here yet).

Does anyone know if there is a UK seller anywhere?

Or can anyone suggest an alternative that will wriggle like the blackworms apparently do?

philwhit

Reaction score
daphnia are also a good source of nutrition for larvae..and are available live from many aquarists shops...as are bloodworm

jane1187

Reaction score
Thankyou guys. My thinking was to use blackworms or similar before the larvae get big enough for daphnia or bloodworm. (by the way my larvae are C. orientalis and are quite little)

Thanks Davo, I do have a few whiteworms but my culture isn't very large (it's been a few weeks and I still have only the original adults I was given. It does look like they have laid some eggs in the bottom though that I can see through the plastic)

Do they do well being chopped up? Will they still wriggle? I might take you up on your offer to boost my culture or even to start a-fresh. How much do you want for a culture?

P.S. I was posting on another forum and apparently there is now a UK seller of blackworm on e-bay! I've taken a look but they're quite expensive and come as 8-10 worms to start a culture, which can take a couple of weeks to generate. Unfortunately I don't have time to culture them before my little ones grow up but at least I've found some!

Davo

Reaction score
I dont want anything for the whiteworms, i always give them to people who come over, it will ge a good size tub full, the way i culture them is very easy and very very productive.

You can also see my newt collection, i have a few of the rarer newts and how i keep them, i find you can pick up on simple ideas that works well by seeing how others keep their newts.

All the best, Martin. :happy:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Both daphnia and whiteworms can be used as "first foods". Some of the daphnia and whiteworms will be too big, but there are always small ones in the culture, and the larvae can feed on these. I don't think whiteworms can be chopped, but there are always tiny ones in there.

In my experience the best food to get whiteworms to reproduce is infant oatmeal cereal (I believe that the UK's "ready-brek" is a similar substance).

Lizamphid

Reaction score
Hi i keep black worms for my newts, they are hard to come by in the uk i was going to start selling some but they have taken me a long time to get the numbers up, however i could let you have 20 which would be cheaper than e bay. pm me and perhaps we could sort some thing

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!