Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone with experience taking care of Tiger Salamanders have two in the same cage before?

Pearson_Realize

Reaction score
Most websites say that they're fine being housed together if they're in a big enough space, but I wanted to see if anyone here thinks otherwise. Thinking about getting a Tiger Salamander or another kind of newt or salamander and I would love to pick a species that does well with other members in the cage. This wouldn't be my first pet (I have an aquatic turtle and a leopard gecko) but it would be my first time putting two animals in the same cage.

I know obviously every animal is different but I'd like to know if you guys think it's generally okay.

Herphunter

Reaction score
I have two Ambystoma tigrinum salamanders in a 40 gal long enclosure. There is ample room for them. Make sure that you have several hides and keep the substrate moist, but not wet. They love to burrow. At one time I was using a misting unit with five spigots. I had it programmed to run for 120 seconds every four hours. That was way too much water. The moss and plants loved it, but it had no where to drain. Over a 2 week period the enclosure filled with about 4 inches of wet mud in the bottom. The tigers were forced to hang out on top of the moss in the enclosure just to stay dry. That's when I finally realized what I had done.

There is no one on this forum that advises keeping different species together. The requirements of the species, although similar, differ enough to warrant separation. In addition, make sure you have enough room for the number of inhabitants in any enclosure whether aquatic, terrestrial, or a combination of both.

Pearson_Realize

Reaction score
I have two Ambystoma tigrinum salamanders in a 40 gal long enclosure. There is ample room for them. Make sure that you have several hides and keep the substrate moist, but not wet. They love to burrow. At one time I was using a misting unit with five spigots. I had it programmed to run for 120 seconds every four hours. That was way too much water. The moss and plants loved it, but it had no where to drain. Over a 2 week period the enclosure filled with about 4 inches of wet mud in the bottom. The tigers were forced to hang out on top of the moss in the enclosure just to stay dry. That's when I finally realized what I had done.

There is no one on this forum that advises keeping different species together. The requirements of the species, although similar, differ enough to warrant separation. In addition, make sure you have enough room for the number of inhabitants in any enclosure whether aquatic, terrestrial, or a combination of both.

Thanks. Do you think there is a certain combination of male/male or female/female or male/female that would minimize any fighting?

Herphunter

Reaction score
I can only speak from my own experience but I'm sure there are plenty of chapters and articles in books and periodicals that will emphatically answer your question. I have not sexted my two tigers but they coexist just fine They appear to keep to themselves using separate hides, but when they happen upon one another in the enclosure there is no animosity shown by either. I would describe it as more of a curiosity than anything else. Each of them will eat from my hand. In fact, one of them keeps a watchful eye on me every time I am near hoping for an earthworm. When I stand at the terrarium for more than a few seconds, he/she pokes its head out of the hide and will stalk toward me eventually trying to climb the glass to get closer.

I can tell you that what I have read is that tigers are difficult to breed in captivity. I don't know if it is due to there size and therefore difficult to have an aquatic enclosure large enough, or if there are other factors involved, but there are members of Caudata.org that have been successful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!