Aphids; to feed or not feed?

gp

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Graeme Phillips
Hi all,

I appreciate that this thread is somewhat out of place here but it was a case of best fit! Has anyone tried feeding aphids to newly metamorphosed efts? I've certainly done this in the past with great success but wondered what the consensus was amongst the caudata community?

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated!

Graeme

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
They seem to be gaining popularity as a food for amphibians. I´ve tried them with my juveniles since i had an invasion of aphids in the Lemna of one of my tanks, and it worked very well. I guess as long as you culture your own or can get them from a pesticide-free zone, they are a good choice.
I have a feeling they may not be nutritionally complete, anyone have information about this?

gp

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Graeme Phillips
There's an abundance of them surrounding a reservoir where I walk my dog. They should be relatively pesticide free. They only seem to live on one particular species of thistle. Any one got any ideas on how to culture these little beauties? Is it simply a case of providing their favoured vegetation?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
The species that lives on thistles is a black one right?
The thing is, in order to culture them you need to provide the correct plants, but for that you first need to identify the aphid species which can be reaaaaally hard.
I´ve heard of people culturing bean aphids by growing their own legumes. Apparently there is a method for culturing aphids which requires no plants, but i know nothing about it.
Some sites now sell aphid starter cultures...i assume that means the species is identified so you´d only need to provide the correct type of plant for those.

Catching them in the wild is easier of course but the risk of pesticides is there even in relatively safe areas, since some species fly.

Ingo

Reaction score
Country
Germany
AW: Aphids; to feed or not feed?

Hi,

i`m one of these persons.
I culture them on germinated peas priored for my dartfrogs.
When i raised my Paramesotriton (Laotriton) laoensis i tried that fooditem first for newts.
And it worked really well.

greetings Ingo V.

gp

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Graeme Phillips
The aphids I have come across are indeed the black variety and also flightless. I can imagine that whilst this particular species of thistle is in season, culturing them would be relatively easy. When winter comes, however, and these thistles are no longer available, it may become an altogether more difficult task. Having said that, as a seasonal food, they may well be a welcome addition to a newts diet.

I've just been to walk my dog and collected a small bag full so I'm going to give them ago with my Ommatotriton vitattus. I suspect they wont last long!

Ingo

Reaction score
Country
Germany
AW: Aphids; to feed or not feed?

Hi,

they are flightless as long as the living conditions are fine. When they are getting harder, they are becoming wings.

greetings Ingo V.

gp

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Graeme Phillips
Re: Aphids; to feed or not to feed?

After conducting some trials I can confirm that not only will metamorphs accept these but aquatic larvae will also. Convincing the aphids to sink is a little difficult and only larger larvae can handle them but nonetheless a welcome addition to the diet!

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've used aphids for over 40 years for a wide variety of tiny frogs and salamanders, in both my own and zoo collections. I've never had any problems when collecting them from pesticide free areas, but I hold off on collecting for a week or so after the area has been sprayed as part of the West Nile Virus control program. The chemicals used are supposedly very specific as to target species and dissipate rapidly, but I'm not completely convinced.

As for culturing ahpids, the little beasts actually have quite complicated life cycles - qued by population and predator pressures and environmental factors, individuals of various species switch sexes and reproduce vis parthenogenesis from time to time...very interesting but certainly complicates captive breeding.

Best, Frank

Ingo

Reaction score
Country
Germany
AW: Re: Aphids; to feed or not feed?

Hello,

my experience with captive breeding is, that the culturing is very easy.

greetings Ingo V.

...very interesting but certainly complicates captive breeding.

Best, Frank

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rememer not to use any that are one toxic plants like milkweed

caleb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Caleb Leeke
Apparently there is a method for culturing aphids which requires no plants, but i know nothing about it.
I have read about a lab method for culturing aphids that uses a liquid food and a parafilm membrane- the aphids feed by puncturing the membrane. It sounded far more difficult than just using a plant host...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Eleven11 has joined the room.