Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: API stress coat

twinkle

Reaction score
Help! I have been told to use this product , every water change, which I have , to read in the web that it is toxic for axolotls ,the pet shop that I bought her from recommend it to me , should I stop using it ? I did a water change today and used it as I have done on 2 more occasions . Would appreciate advice , thanks .

twinkle

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Dear Twinkle,

Where did you read that Stress Coat was toxic? Can you remember the source?
I've used API Stress Coat + for my water changes for over a year and have never had problems. It's the only product I use for water conditioning.

twinkle

Reaction score
Hi Petersgirl,
On Facebook I have joined a couple of forums , and I read about it today , but typically I can't find the one the comment was on , I will let you know as soon as I find it . Apparently they can be allergic to the aloe Vera this I had read about a couple of times , but today when I read it's toxic to them . That then made me panic, I wondered what everyone thought , I will reply when I find the imfo again !

twinkle

twinkle

Reaction score
Hi again
I sent a message to API stress coat + . They have just sent me a message back , to say that as long as you put the right dosage in the aquarium, the product is okay for axolotls ! Phew :)

twinkle

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Dear Twinkle,

Thanks for finding out that information.

Worries about the products we use are quite commonplace, especially since trace elements of iodine (avoided if you're an axxie owner because it can cause them to morph) are included in some aquarium products - not in Stress Coat though.

I've always used a single 'pump' of the solution (I have a large bottle with a 'pump' top, like a handwash bottle) for every 7 litres of water or large basin of water.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi again
I sent a message to API stress coat + . They have just sent me a message back , to say that as long as you put the right dosage in the aquarium, the product is okay for axolotls ! Phew :)

twinkle

What did you think they would say? They want to sell it.

API tap water conditioner is a better choice.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Stress coat has all the added features, or so called 'benefits' which are not necessarily needed or safe for Axolotls, even if API themselves say it is, since how can we know they tested with Axolotls?

The API Stress Coat has extras:

1.Proven to reduce fish stress by 40%
2.Contains Aloe Vera, proven to heal wounds and promote regeneration of damaged fish tissue
3.Reduces electrolyte loss

The API Tap Water Conditioner is just standard:

1.Dechlorinates aquarium and tap water
2.Detoxifies heavy metals

So the API Tap Water Conditioner is the safer choice unless there is any reliable information that says other wise.

twinkle

Reaction score
Thank you, that is very helpful and all I needed to know, I shall get some , of course when I bought my axolotl , they told Me to buy the stress one ,because they use it, I will mention the advice because it's not helpful to inexperienced owners thank you for explaining

twinkle

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
I've read mixed information about Aloe Vera being good for Axolotls.

John Clare mentions on his Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity page:

"I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals' Stress Coat, which also contains aloe vera, a plant extract that, although slightly toxic, replaces the natural slime coat that fish have. It seems to have a similar benefit for axolotls and it's not harmful. Hagen's Amquel also contains aloe vera. Aloe vera also has a slight anti-biotic effect."

But then other users have reported other experiences:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/71543-axolotl-water-treatment.html
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f57-axolotl-general-discussion/91390-aloe-vera-slime-bad-good.html

I also read that some Axolotls are allergic to Aloe Vera, which causes skin irritations.

I just use Seachem Prime.

twinkle

Reaction score
Better to be on the safe side, I will try to get the seachem prime, hopefully I can get it on line . We live in a hard water area , but our water comes from a bore hole . No chlorine, but obviously we would have metals etcetera , your help has been invaluable , thank you for all the trouble and time you have gone to for me , made my day ! :)

twinkle

Shellen

Reaction score
Hi again

twinkle
I also saw someone on Facebook say stress ciat+ was toxic to axolotls and I also have used it for about a year thank you for finding out it is OK to use

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!