Appropriate weight

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey y'all, I was feeling pretty good about his weight, but I was talking to the person I got mine from and she said he was fat. Thoughts? Sorry for the poor picture quality, he was very squirmy. He's about a year and a half old, approximately 12 inches long. I usually feed him either a latge worm (or a couple of smaller ones) or pellets every other day. He doesn't poop very often, but is ALWAYS hungry. 10 minutes after I feed him, he's begging for food again.

Attachments

• 20201118_203830.jpg
    20201118_203830.jpg
    915.4 KB · Views: 1,291
Last edited:
He looks a bit plump but not obese. Axolotls will tend to stop eating when they’re full, so it’s hard to get them to be obese. Your goal should be for his body to be the same width as his head.

Looks perfectly fine.

I cant tell sex from this angle.

Always feed until full or they will find non food things to eat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back