Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Apuanus eggs!!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, they really look fantastic, Molch. I can´t wait for mine to morph, but then again, they are adorable now too :D

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Congrats to both of you! They look amazing!

Its great to capture the rasing styles. It will definitely be helpful for others in the future.

Keep the updates coming!

Molch

Reaction score
ok, one more: one pic one shows the variation in size and color:

the little guy is my shrimpy morph; he's about 4 cm long. He's the only one that small. All others are more or less like the big one, who is about 5.7 cm long.

Also, the big one is one of my lightest-colored ones and the little guy one of the darkest, so that's about the range in colors I got :)

their bellies are getting orange now, too. The belly shot is one of the recent morphs - no gills left and about 6 cm.

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 205

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And here is my first morph! :)
This one is quite small, but it has a hearty appetite so it´ll catch up.

Attachments

• P1080352.JPG
    P1080352.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 213

Molch

Reaction score
awesome :) cute little bug. My smallest (and earliest) morph also caught up and by now I can no longer distinguish it in size from the ones that morphed later at a larger size. They grow fast!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Time for a little update!
The three juveniles from last year, are now two...the smallest one eventually didn´t make it. Its larger siblings are doing nicely, though. For some reason they are remaining partially neotenic. One of them has small gill nubs, the other doesn´t, but both have still open branquial clefts.
I´m also raisng another two larvae from this past season, and they are doing well too, although now that my Daphnia culture has crashed, their diet is somewhat less interesting.

Unfortunately i lost one of my adult I.a.apuanus females...the largest of the two, in all probability the mother of the juvies. The death was entirely unexpected as the animal looked perfectly healthy only two days prior to finding it dead, plus the cadaver showed no signs of obvious causes at all. It seemed like a rather espontaneous thing...She will be remembered though her offspring and through the epic songs that shall make her glory legendary....and one last picture of Her Holy Chunkiness.

Attachments

• P1080854.JPG
    P1080854.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 210
  • P1080843.JPG
    P1080843.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 177
  • P1080817.JPG
    P1080817.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 187

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m sorry, but you can´t. Not that it would be a good idea anyway given the year-round temperatures that you guys experience in most of the country.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1