Aquatic Newt advice

ETH002

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Trevor
I was wanting a species thats larger in size and aquatic, can anyone list a few that are fun to have?

Pleurodeles waltl is not generally overall attractive (well, that depends on your point of view), but more than make up for it in attitude. Axolotls are rather attractive (I'm biased) and get pretty big. They can be a little more picky.

Depends on what you mean with "fun to have". Most amphibia are rather unexcited and slow, they can hardly be mixed with other species.

Why don't you try.........

the mid size sirens (s. lacertina)?

Tylototriton kweichowensis are large, colorful, and personable (for a newt). Wild caughts have been available here in the US for much of this past summer and fall however I'm not sure if they are still around or not. Also, with wild caughts some may not acclimate as well as others. Michael Shrom may still have some captive bred individuals left (bred by a member of this forum - cough, cough).
Chip

Narrowed Down to Four Species!

I believe I have narrowed my decision down to four species, Triturus Dobrogicus, Karelinii, Marmoratus. Or Tylototriton Kweichowensis. Iwas wondering out of the above species, which would be more aquatic and easy to care for?

T. karelinii are large, colorful, fairly hardy, and my females were almost 100% aquatic (I only offered them a small land area that was never used). I can't speak for the others.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back