Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are aquarium plant fertilizers newt safe?

AidanD

Reaction score
I’m planning to do an aquascape with either Cynops species or T. dobrogicus. Many aquascapers recommend liquid fertilizers for the benefit of the plants, though I do not know if they are safe for amphibians. The brand I plan to buy is considered fish and invertebrate safe, but amphibians are not specified.

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
I would tend to avoid fertilizers. Most of them contain iron, and as I understand it, amphibians can be sensitive to metals, so I’ve never taken the risk. The only thing I add to my tank is a small amount of CO2 (gas, not the liquid kind). Beyond that, my newt does a pretty good job of fertilizing the plants for me.

Are you looking at growing something in particular that requires fertilizer?

AidanD

Reaction score
Nothing that would need it per say, though I’m planning on using sand, so the more nutrition I can provide the plants, the better.

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
I’ve heard that some people use organic (no pesticide/fertilizer) potting soil under the sand in their tanks to give the plants a boost. I’ve never tried it, though I am considering it for a future project. Do use caution with some plant species, though. Java ferns, for one, don’t like to be buried much if at all (they get nutrients through their leaves, and the roots are just to anchor them).

Some plants I’ve had success with without fertilizer are Java fern, cryptocoryne, anubias, and “lucky bamboo”. More recently, I have been trying out asian liverwort (sometimes called pellia) and water sprite. Both of those are doing well so far, but then again, I’ve only had them for a couple weeks.

As far as I can tell, good lighting and possibly CO2 (depending on your plant choices) seem to be more important than adding fertilizer.

alexburton

Reaction score
While liquid fertilizers can benefit your plants, it's wise to be cautious about their impact on amphibians like Cynops species or T. dobrogicus.

AlexWentworth

Reaction score
I understand your concern about using aquarium plant fertilizers in your aquascape with amphibians. Even though the thread is a few years old, the issue remains relevant. It's always wise to prioritize the safety of your aquatic companions. While the brand you mentioned is considered safe for fish and invertebrates, the lack of information about its impact on amphibians is something to consider.
If you're looking for alternative options, you might want to explore more recent resources or reach out to fellow aquascapers who have experience with amphibians. Also, have you ever thought about incorporating the concept of planting creeping thyme? It's not only appealing in gardens but could also offer an interesting twist to your aquascape.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1