Are testing strips accurate?

Zandy94

New member
Joined
Jun 24, 2014
Messages
62
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Northamptonshire
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zandy
Hi all,

I was just wondering if testing strips were accurate, as I've heard other things about them and people prefer to use the test tube method. Unfortunately my local pet store doesn't sell anything other than the strips, and online is very expensive :/
 
It depends. They can be accurate if they are good quality and stored and used properly. It is very important that they are not exposed to humidity before using, so the cap must be closed well. Also when using them you have to be very careful to do exactly as the instructions say, for example if the results should be read after one minute, you need to get a stopwatch and time exactly 60 seconds.
I have never had any problems with test strips but some people can't get it right. :D
 
And just a tip: check out ebay. I bought Api liquid test kit for a lot cheaper there than I would have paid in a store.
 
I use strips for checking my cycled tanks, but I use liquid tests for a new tank. They will give you an idea of whether you need to do a water change, but you do need to time the 60 seconds carefully.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top