Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Arrived missing a foot!

GypsySoul

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’m a brand new member as of today. And a brand new Axolotol mom as of yesterday. I ordered from an online breeder and when he/she arrived it’s missing it’s front foot. It’s a baby Axanthic Copper, about 3 inches long. It doesn’t move very much, just stares vainly at its reflection all day. 😁

Just like being a first time parent, I’m worried about the foot. It’s just a little stump.

The breeder dismissed me and said it’s fine but I just need reassurance from those that understand.

Thank You!

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’m a brand new member as of today. And a brand new Axolotol mom as of yesterday. I ordered from an online breeder and when he/she arrived it’s missing it’s front foot. It’s a baby Axanthic Copper, about 3 inches long. It doesn’t move very much, just stares vainly at its reflection all day. 😁

Just like being a first time parent, I’m worried about the foot. It’s just a little stump.

The breeder dismissed me and said it’s fine but I just need reassurance from those that understand.

Thank You!
i completely understand, and want you to know this is perfectly normal :)
im also a semi-new parent, i've had my mudkip for about a year and a half now, and i’d like to warmly welcome you to the community;
so, uh, welcome!!!
i also ordered from an online breeder, and my mudkip arrived with a small nick in her tail. axolotls, however, are magical and fantastic and can regrow limbs and such like nothing, (well, with proper time, care, and food that is) so your little darling should start growing back that little leg here pretty soon, but it will take a while.
a copper axanthic is awesome! i personally have a melanoid axanthic female, but i’d love to have a copper someday, i think they’re gorgeous.
the breeders dismissal is somewhat understandable, axolotls are widely known for their regenerative abilities after all - but, rest assured my friend, your little friend will grow it back.
send me a pm if you’d like to ask me more questions, but other than that i hope you have a great night (or day, whenever you read this)
- ren <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1