Artwork

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
I'd love to see some pics posted of artwork involving (if not featuring) caudates, newts esp.

I'll start the ball rolling with this one, an "ukiyoe" woodblock print by Kuniyoshi Utagawa (1797-1861):

6023.jpg

I first saw it at a bookstore today and was lucky enough to find it posted on the Web at this site:

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/ROM590310/sub003.html

Will try to find a proper print to frame and add to my collection of newt paraphernalia
lol.gif

Very nice Tim. It's also conceivable that the artist thought of "Imori" being some sort of fish rather than something else.
Seems that cats were a major threat to ornamental carp as early as the 19th century.

Ralf

Thanks Jessica. Here's another by the same artist, with what looks a bit more like an Andrias japonicus (Japanese Giant Salamander), but actually it's a "sea creature"
smile6.gif
Don't think the seawater would do a salamander any good, except maybe as an anti-fungus treatment
lol.gif

6031.jpg

Yes, Ralf, way back then there wasn't as clear a distinction as there is today between fish, amphibians and reptiles. The Japanese word for salamander actually contains the Chinese character for "fish". But I don't know if they were actually thought to be fish or just closely related to fish.

As for it being in there with the goldfish or koi, I've actually seen Cynops pyrrhogaster in an outdoor goldfish pond in a rural area here before
biggrin.gif

Here's another old Japanese painting but I don't have the info right here with me now on who made it when.
6032.jpg

Anybody know what these European-origin emblems are all about? I've seen a few of them, including this one:

6035.jpg

A guy named Enzyne sells his artwork, often salamanders, on Ebay. Here's the most recent picture.

i-1.JPG

Here's the link to the item:
ENZYNE abstract ink drawing salamander/newt

Many of his pictures are not abstract like this, but very realistic. But they are not online on ebay anymore.

Heres some of mine:
6054.jpg

6055.jpg

6141.jpg

By Albertus Seba (1735)

Wow!...Thanks Coen, those last ones (earthly creatures) look great. I'd like to get me some...but the price is a bit steep
shocked.gif

(Message edited by TJ on October 13, 2003)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back