Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

asellus aquaticus( aquatic isopods) and axolotls

Gnolaum

Reaction score
Hello, I am very new to axolotls. I would like to know if it was possible to have aquatic isopods with axolotls in a 75 gallon tank. Thanks for any info.

Murk

Reaction score
Interesting! Haven't heard that one before.

They will get eaten.
Isopods move fast enough to be spotted but aren't fast enough not to get eaten. It sounds like a very expensive way to give your axolotl a snack.

Even more, their carapace might not be very suitable for axolotl stomachs - though I don't have experience with that.

If you could get a large enough population that they can out-breed the axolotls appetite, it could be interesting (and probably be beneficial to your ecosystem), but considering the risks I would be very hesitant.

Do you have any experience with the aquatic isopods? I must admit I'm not familiar with freshwater aquarium isopods!

Gnolaum

Reaction score
I am not very familiar, but I have researched. I have read from various sources that aquatic isopods breed very quickly. That being said I would think they could out breed the axolotls appetite. Not trying to seem heartless, whether they get eaten or not doesn't really matter. I mostly would like have them as a clean up crew as axolotls are very messy. You do make a good point on the shell of the Asselus and the axolotls stomach.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1