Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Attacked by kitten, twice.

OKboomer

Reaction score
Long story short my axolotl has twice been attacked by an out of control kitten. We've taken extra precautionary measures now, but in the meantime the axolotl has some wounds I'm worried about. He's been fridged for about a week, and I gave him a few salt baths that seem to have taken care of the fuzz that was what I guess was infection. I'm wondering if I should do tea baths or add Indian almond leaves to his fridge water.. Or is it best to leave him alone and fridged with daily water changes? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20201121_191121.jpg
    20201121_191121.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 157

leomleite

Reaction score
Long story short my axolotl has twice been attacked by an out of control kitten. We've taken extra precautionary measures now, but in the meantime the axolotl has some wounds I'm worried about. He's been fridged for about a week, and I gave him a few salt baths that seem to have taken care of the fuzz that was what I guess was infection. I'm wondering if I should do tea baths or add Indian almond leaves to his fridge water.. Or is it best to leave him alone and fridged with daily water changes? Any advice greatly appreciated.

This is a total nightmare , but as far as I can see in the picture, its not bad at all.
I'd avoid salt baths, as they are very harsh, and use Indian almond leaves on the tub.
I think you can return the lotl to its tank, adding the leaves to it...
It will naturally heal these wounds, don't worry!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
I would stop salt baths but add equivalent of 1 tbsp per 5-10 gallons to the water as a preventative and to help maintain slime coat for healing.

You can add IAL no tea baths needed.

You could do meth blue soaks which is a preventative and mild treatment for surface fungus and bacteria.

Remove from the fridge as well. You have the infection under control so slowing the metabolism now is just slowing healing. Needs a big appetite to heal well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!