Average life span of an A. gracile?

Liorah

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've looked and looked, and the only information offered is: at least 5 years. One site said 10.2 years had been documented as their 'in captivity' lifespan. And they all say that their full life span is unknown (other than being at least 5 years long) because they live such sheltered and secretive lives. Most salamander species seem to live for an average of 10 - 15 years, according to what I've read up on multiple sites and resources. Is ten years a fair number to expect for this species? Or should I take or add a few years?

It looks like you already found the Slaven's longevity page. Unfortunately, that's about the best info you'll find anywhere. If you look through the info on other related species, you'll see that they can live 20 years or more. So I would expect better than 10 years, but you never know.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see! Thank-you for your reassurance though as to an assumable life-span, it is much appreciated! :love: And I am actually new to that page, thank-you for posting it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back