Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Average Size of A. tigrinum

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
*old photo, was taken around last summer*
I was wondering what the average size of the Eastern Tiger Salamander is, everything online says up to 13inches but no legit range. I've only kept one so I don't have the ability to come up with a good range. Can any breeders tell me?

My leucistic A. tigrinum, Scout, is around 10 inches, probably more than half tail. Is he large or small? P.S. Besides cloacal swells, is there another way to Identify sex?
IMG_2946.jpeg

Herpin Man

Reaction score
8-10 inches is typical in the wild. Well fed captives tend to run a bit larger.
FYI, for quite a few years, the record for the largest tiger salamander was held by an individual that I owned. That record may have been broken by now, though, I'm not sure. It's now in a pickle jar in a museum.

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
8-10 inches is typical in the wild. Well fed captives tend to run a bit larger.
FYI, for quite a few years, the record for the largest tiger salamander was held by an individual that I owned. That record may have been broken by now, though, I'm not sure. It's now in a pickle jar in a museum.
Thank you! That sounds really cool, how big was the record?

PDONTnAMBY

Reaction score
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!