Average Size of A. tigrinum

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Country
United States
*old photo, was taken around last summer*
I was wondering what the average size of the Eastern Tiger Salamander is, everything online says up to 13inches but no legit range. I've only kept one so I don't have the ability to come up with a good range. Can any breeders tell me?

My leucistic A. tigrinum, Scout, is around 10 inches, probably more than half tail. Is he large or small? P.S. Besides cloacal swells, is there another way to Identify sex?
IMG_2946.jpeg

8-10 inches is typical in the wild. Well fed captives tend to run a bit larger.
FYI, for quite a few years, the record for the largest tiger salamander was held by an individual that I owned. That record may have been broken by now, though, I'm not sure. It's now in a pickle jar in a museum.

8-10 inches is typical in the wild. Well fed captives tend to run a bit larger.
FYI, for quite a few years, the record for the largest tiger salamander was held by an individual that I owned. That record may have been broken by now, though, I'm not sure. It's now in a pickle jar in a museum.
Thank you! That sounds really cool, how big was the record?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back