Axi having blood

Melina

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello! I haven’t been online in the part few days/weeks,but I’ve got a problem..

Basically, my male axolotl mochi, is a golden albino axolotl and as you know they mostly have golden/peachy gills. so does my mochi but today as I woke up I looked at all of them, and I saw that something was off with mochi.

He had red ( really strong red ) gills– almost like blood on his gills and his veins were visible over all his body. I found this very suspicious because mochi is usually not much of a red-colored axolotl.. neither could I ever see veins on his body.

Last time I saw my axolotl have this symptoms, she was sadly dead..

Help would be needed :)

Here are some photos- 1st photo is mochi normally, second is him now.
B81DCEC8-499F-44B0-A34D-B63CB22E3C48.jpeg
image.jpg

what are your water parameters ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, gh, kh ?
what chemicals/minerals are used ie.. dechlorinator, conditioner, holtfreters, salts ?
when was the last water change?
has there been an increase in activity?
a couple of things can cause flushed gills (and visible veins) apart from viral/fungal/septicemia, these are increase in respiration due to activity, warmer temperatures, issues with nitrogen compounds.
ensure that the water contains 50% holtfreters + 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate or at least having salt at the level of 2g/l instead, this is to make sure the water chemistry is correct and to prevent issues with fungus etc.. as well as protection against fluctuating nitrogen compounds.
because albinos skin is semi translucent it makes it easy to see the veins under the skin even when the animal is in good health, good levels of water oxygen will produce the same as picture two, where as bad levels cause pale gills such as picture one.
unfortunately this means that septicaemia can be miss diagnosed (same as good oxygen) as can anaemia (same as bad/low oxygen).
septicaemia cause by bacterial infection would require antibiotics as well as daily baths in methyline blue and acriflavine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Dnurnberg: Will the shrimp eat the worms? +1
    Back