Axie bite!

bugdozer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to happen. They are meant to be harmless, not leave savage red marks like this (incidentally it looks more red now than when I took the picture!)

Attachments

• axie bite.jpg
    axie bite.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 5,724
Watch out for the venom, better start sucking on it.

Just a little love nibble... Just watch out for zombiefication... If you feel the need to eat worms go see a doctor.

People claim axolotls don't have teeth but they sure have something that feels like little nubs in that mouth of theirs. Sort of feels like the ridged part of a goose beak if you ask me. lol

People claim axolotls don't have teeth but they sure have something that feels like little nubs in that mouth of theirs. Sort of feels like the ridged part of a goose beak if you ask me. lol

They do indeed! They have textured gums, much like the nubs on a beak, in order to grip things like worms.

I cant figure out which way it bit your arm? The shape looks like it bit it from along the arm, but the bite mark doesn't make the full mouth shape. I am really confused now :confused:

Oh yah, you did know that axolotls have small barbs on their two canine teeth that make tiny holes in your skin. Once they have their barbs in your skin they push a large dosage of tetrodotoxin into your bloodstream. Oh, and tetrodotoxin is the most deadly toxin known to science. It numbs you, paralyzes you, and then stops your heart.

Good luck on your recovery...if your not already dead ;)

Yes I am pretty sure axolotls have teeth. I have felt the teeth of Dicamptodon larvae and they feel identical to that of small trout. small, soft little teeth that are rather sharp.

Once they have their barbs in your skin they push a large dosage of tetrodotoxin into your bloodstream. Oh, and tetrodotoxin is the most deadly toxin known to science. It numbs you, paralyzes you, and then stops your heart.

Good luck on your recovery...if your not already dead ;)
Seriously?? Or am I just being totally gullible and you're winding us up. (I believe anything I'm told, so am always having people play jokes with me by telling me the most outrageous things... Someone told me once we eat 50 to 100 spiders during our lifetime, mostly while we're asleep. :eek: Surely that one isn't true. Or is it?) :confused:

lol I tend to play with mine and let them bite my fingers on purpose, it doesn't hurt me, they let go right away. Never left marks either. They have like rubber teeth I have a picture of Howie showing his gums.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 3,236
I'm pretty sure this is not supposed to happen. They are meant to be harmless, not leave savage red marks like this (incidentally it looks more red now than when I took the picture!)

Knowing their reputation, you should be glad you still have an arm!

lol I tend to play with mine and let them bite my fingers on purpose, it doesn't hurt me, they let go right away. Never left marks either. They have like rubber teeth I have a picture of Howie showing his gums.....
OMG that is the most adorable lotl! So cute. Great smile. And such fabulous gills. What a wonderful axie.
Presuming he's no longer on that impaction risk known as gravel though?

Seriously?? Or am I just being totally gullible and you're winding us up. (I believe anything I'm told, so am always having people play jokes with me by telling me the most outrageous things... Someone told me once we eat 50 to 100 spiders during our lifetime, mostly while we're asleep. :eek: Surely that one isn't true. Or is it?) :confused:

Yes, you hade better be careful when your feeding your axie, or you'll end up dead xD

No, no, i am kidding lol. They don't have tetrodotoxin, but some species of newt do, as well as puffer fishes.
I I bet I am on a pretty good track to eating 50 spiders, with all the berries I eat. You can never spot all them little bugs.

lol so funny mine bite my fingers sometimes ,but have never hurt me ,just playing :)

This thread is the most fun I've seen on the forum xD

I think the bite looks like a hickie. I've always thought of axolotls as having little sandpapery jaws rather than fully developed teeth.

lovesheraxies, I do that too! I even coax them to swim to the surface just so they can get me!

Also the "the average person eats 50-100 spiders a year" factoid actualy just statistical error. The average person eats 0 spiders per year. Spiders Georg, who lives in cave & eats over 10,000 each day, is an outlier and should not be counted.

The mark was sort of like a hickie. Seeing in the pics where the teeth are, they are too far back in the mouth to have reached the skin, and I think it was the suction he generated which did it.
My hand is still attached, by the way ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back