Axie in "tree house"

S

steffi

Hey everybody,

I just found my axie sitting in the top of one of the plants in the tank, dangling its little legs either side. It looked so relaxed and comfortable, does anybody else's axies do that aswell?
Is there a reason for it (hiding from nonexistent predators or something)?

Anyway, this was so cute, I thought I would share it with you.

Cheers, Steffi

andrew

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Andy Baker
This is called the "Hang out" position.

Axies love to hang out. People who have to strong a filter will experience this less.

My guys love getting themselves in amongst the plants and just chilling out with each other.

J

joan

I think we just coined it 'hang out'. I don't think that's a scientific term
. Mine will often do it with just one foot on a plant, or their tail resting on it. Or they'll sit on the bottom, and stick their front legs up. I think they do it just because they don't spend a lot of time doing very much of anything. They're lazy (to use a human term) as far as most animals go.

J

jordan

Mine does that after he goes to the top for air, he rushes down right into the plant and just sits there.

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sherri
My cutie Axelina does it too. It makes me wonder how the little plants can support her weight, strange! I have a air bubble machine in my tank, and Axelina just loves to attack the bubbles for ages, it's real fun to watch.She also likes to get herself to lie on top of the machine, so the bubbles will lift her in the air. First I was a bit worried the bubbles may damage her sensitive skin somehow, but luckily not, as she loves it.Haha, she is soo entertaining. But she hardly ever swims, mostly just keeps walking around. She has never been to the top of the tank to get air. Isn't that a bit strange?

C

charles

Julio (my axie) does that as well. just chills at the top of the tank, or on top of the plants. I think it works well for him because the water coming off the filter moves past him so he just sits there flapping his gills occasionally

S

si

Yeah my guy does it after a gulp of air usually, there are some pics of him in action in the axie gallery titled "Crouching Axi Hidden Bloodworm"

They're hilarious little beasts!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Unlike
  • Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    The second image was how it looked the first time, it was mixed with some other poop like stuff. after that its been small and without the poopy stuff
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    The second photo looks reminiscent of partially-digested worms, though I've never seen anything like that. Have you checked your parameters lately?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Right now theyre in smaller tubs that i do daily water changes in
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    I'll admit Ive bought test strips but they havent come in yet
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    I use Prime to dechlorinate the water, which was recommend by the girl I got them from
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    For now I'd tub the axolotl and do daily 100% water changes until you're able to test your parameters
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    I'd also recommend ordering a liquid test kit such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit since strips are generally unreliable and inaccurate.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Okay, thank you for your help and advice :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • k.em:
    anybody growing tylototriton?
    +2
    Unlike
  • pixxie:
    +1
    Unlike
  • pixxie:
    hi I’m looking for some insight, it would really help if you could check out what I have written^
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mbnavy98:
    Hey so does anyone ever update this site. I mean the photo contest from 2012..
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mbnavy98:
    Wait in finding newer posts in different forums
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Mbnavy98 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chelsea smith:
    Hello! Anyone there right now by chance? I have a couple questions about plants in an axolotl tank.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Junaz:
    @Chelsea smith, Hi, what questions did you have?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chelsea smith:
    Hi! I was wondering if anyone knew if java fern, the floaters like frog bit, anubis, and moss balls could be all kept without any substrate with the axies? I have sand right now with an axie who is over a year but we were just testing the waters really but I continously read about a lot of health issues with sand impacting constipation and hiding bad bacteria and such, we just want to make him comfy.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Junaz:
    I don't know about the java ferns, but the moss balls and anything that floats on the surface of the water should be totally fine! I'm not saying the java ferns aren't an option, I just personally don't know if they can live without some sort of substrate
    +1
    Unlike
  • Littlewolf:
    Java ferns actually do better when they are attached to a piece of wood or other decor anyway. Their rhizomes can be easily burried in sand and then they dont grow properly. The others can also be kept without sand no problem.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Sal_3304 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    @Chelsea smith All of the plants you've listed can be kept without substrate. Plants with rhizomes cannot be submerged in substrate, as burying the rhizome will cause the plant to suffocate and rot. You can pin these plants under on onto decoration, rocks, etc., just be careful that the rhizome is not in substrate. Moss balls and floating plants, naturally, do not need substrate either. Do note that floating plants require a good amount of light.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    Hi guys, I have an 11 month old axoltol who is about 9 inches long. She normally is a pig when it comes to food. I switch between pellets and night crawlers, and sometimes blood worms if she had a big meal the day before. Anyways, I went to go feed her a night crawler today, and she wouldn’t eat it! She turned her head and went to the corner. I noticed that when I cut this worm it seems to release a lot more goop then other worms I’ve cut, I tried to wash it off the best I could with cold water. Do you think maybe she didn’t want to eat it because of that? She normally will eat anything in front of her face. Water perimeters are perfectly normal by the way, and temp is at a steady 63 degrees F.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    Also, she looks perfectly fine. Tail is straight, gills aren’t curled, no fungus or anything. It’s probably no big deal, it’s just unusual behavior for her so it really caught my eye. Love my girl and want to make sure everything’s ok.
    +1
    Unlike
    Paige1warren: Also, she looks perfectly fine. Tail is straight, gills aren’t curled, no fungus or anything... +1