Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie started spending alot of time at top of tank.

Scott4462

Reaction score
It concerns me because he is never acted this way before he seems fine he is alert and attentive he comes to me when I approach his aquarium, he is eating he is pooping, the water seems fine the temperature is 66 and 64 normally. He has no discoloration his gills look good the only difference is a change of diet I started giving him Canadian nightcrawlers, and he has only been eating frozen food and pellets I'm not sure if maybe he is getting older and more curious and active or if there is something else wrong

Attachments

• 15628.jpeg
    15628.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 15626.jpeg
    15626.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 15630.jpeg
    15630.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Sounds like he's getting much more acclimated with his world. My 3 year old girl comes up to the surface whenever I come by. If she's hanging by the top and I'm not around, usually hot, or cozying up to an ice pack I float to keep her temp down.

Though you did just start giving your axolotl earthworms? That's probably it. Trying to bed for food. They love those.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1