Illness/Sickness: Axie swims strangely and looks thin? (MOVIES)

nilssverker

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'm very concerned about my axie's behaviour. He lies at the bottom in very awkward positions, L-shaped with his tail pointing upwards, and sometimes almost like an U. This has been going om for a few days.
He also swims strangely compared to what he usually does, and I think he looks thin.

He eats as normally (one small to medium sized earthworm every two days).

Movie here, shot today.

Compare to this movie from april 2013.

Temperature in the water is 22 degrees Celsius, and has been so for a month (room temperature is 26-30 degrees during this neverending heat wave, I use a USB-fan and an air pump to cool the water - read more about my concerns with temperature here.)

I have recently (2-3 weeks ago) "redecorated" his tank, but I have not added anything to the tank but for the air pump and its silicone tube.

Thankful for all the help I can get!

It looks like he's having hard time staying at the bottom. It might be that he has tried to eat the air bubbles and therefore has air in his belly. You could try putting him in a plastic container with just enough water to cover him so he won't get stressed. Air bubbles usually pass through in a few days.

Thank you! That could be it ... but stupidly enough I didn't look carefully at him before putting in the air tube, so I really can't tell if he was lika that earlier ...

Any other suggestions ...?

Is he skinny?

I tested the water, and:
Nitrite 0 mg/l
Ammonium 0 mg/l
So that looks fine. I have never had any problems with water quality in this set up.

(But the test is a 18 months past expiry date :eek: )

Stupid question would it be possible to burp him?I am not sure how to go about it? a gental stroke of his belly towards his mouth?I know they are usually hands off but would it do more harm than possible good?

I don't really think burping him would be a good idea.. He does look stressed but I think touching him and potentially giving him a slime coat issue could be much worse than the uncomfortableness of some air in his stomach :/ and I am definitely no expert so if someone knows more please feel free to say I'm wrong!

I don't think anyone's ever tried to burp an axie. :D
If I were you, I'd try putting him in the plastic container and just a little water for a few days and see if it passes.
And it's a bit hard to say if he's too skinny. He's certainly not fat. As long as the belly is about as wide as the head it's good.

Edit: You really should get a new water test kit. It's important to test the water regularly because axies are pretty sensitive to water quality.

I don't really think burping him would be a good idea.. He does look stressed but I think touching him and potentially giving him a slime coat issue could be much worse than the uncomfortableness of some air in his stomach :/ and I am definitely no expert so if someone knows more please feel free to say I'm wrong!

I agree, trying to burp him would probably only make things more uncomfortable for him.

I don't think anyone's ever tried to burp an axie. :D

You never know, someone may have tried....:confused:

He certainly looks skinnier than he did comparing the videos. Perhaps feed him a little bit more than usual and putting him in a shallow container is a good idea for now.

Thank you all!

Putting him in a small container - ok, but not fridging. Water from the tank, in room temperature? My only concern with this is that such a small amount of water will become too hot? (with at least 26 degrees indoors temperature)

And I have to work daytime, can I really make such a drastic change for him without monitoring him carefully?

Fridging is possible if you're worried about the temperature. Or you could get a cool box made of styrofoam and put the container in there maybe with a frozen water bottle next to it.

He looks a little happier today, maybe he has burped during the night :happy: he does not swim as awkwardly and right now he swims about just under the surface, his usual way.

Pics of him; is he skinny?

2mfenew.jpg

v5brkl.jpg

v5brkl.jpg

I think he looks like he just needs a few good meals. his belly should be about as wide as his head.

glad he seems to be doing better!

he looks a little skinny but we've certainly seen worse I say just feed him a little more or maybe even twice a day to fatten him up A LITTLE because he doesn't look that bad :) if you're really concerned about the temperature (since it seems pretty hot!) you might consider fridging just so he doesn't get heat stroke or anything and you know the temperature will stay stable while you are gone (just make sure to change out 100% of the water every day with dechlorinated water of the same temperature).

Thanks for all the help, Caudata is wonderful :happy:

I'll start feeding him more for a start, he certainly likes to eat; snaps at fingers and plants and bubbles and anything (even my elbow once, it took a while for him to understand it was to big a bite ...)

How much do you folks feed your axies? Mine is about 20 cm long, but I actually don't know his age.

And of course I continue to monitor his behaviour.

Glad he's doing better. :) He does look a bit on the skinny side in the pictures. You could just feed him every day for now or give one extra worm per feeding.
I feed my big ones (over 25 cm) a big meal two times a week (as much as they want to eat) and then a few smaller snacks (one medium sized worm or a few pellets or some fish).
My little one (about 14 cm) I feed every day one or two small-medium size worms or some pellets.

I also feed worms, pellets, and small rosie minnows (or some guppies that I breed in another tank). I buy the minnows (or give guppies) once a week, have my daughter dig up earthworms for me in the yard twice a week, and give pellets or some frozen bloodworms on the remaining days. If my axies don't eat the minnows immediately, (which is rare) they are small enough that they don't bother them until they do become a snack. They don't dirty up the tank either. :happy:

As far as I understand you should really be quarantining the minnows you purchase...they can carry diseases which can spread to your axies, I think two weeks is the normal time period for quarantine, the ones you're breeding sound like a much better option :)

Ok, so Jack Sparrow (yes, that's my axies name :eek:) seems all right; he likes to eat (I gave him two earthworms the other day, no problem for Jack), swims around the way he uses to and reacts normally when I come to the tank.

But he still has the problem that his tail wants to point upwards. He't not too happy about that and sticks himself under plant leaves and branches to stay at the bottom. He doesn't really seem as stressed about it as before, though.

Could this in any way be something harmful? Should I go and put him in a smaller container (or even in the fridge), or just wait and observe him?

The thought of constipation has crossed my mind - I haven't seen any poop in the tank lately, but that doesn't really prove anything - but he wouldn't want food if he was constipated, would he?

Update: he acts just normal again, tail horizontal or down, no struggling to keep on the bottom. He happily swims around and hangs under the surface. Thanks for all the advice!

1zpipp2.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back